Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
canoe fishing

Did something yesterday that I had never tried before and had a blast. Put the canoe in at Hyco bridge on Hyco Road East and floated to the ramp on Hwy 58. Took about 3.5 hours moderately paddling. Drifted some medium minnows on corks set about 3 foot deep just for fun to see what would happen. Caught 21 keeper size crappie with about 15 throwbacks. Also caught 3 channel cats and one gar fish that just about made me take a dip on that unsturdy canoe. I will do this again but next time take my 14' jon boat with a trolling motor.

Re: canoe fishing

Now that's a great report. I floated hyco ramp around to gravel ridge with mama and my kid...great time as well but a bit longer. I had mama working hard to get backwards thru the hyco cut against the current. There's a tree there now. Seperately, on Sat afternoon I put the canoe in at hyco and fished for bream. I got a dozen or so for bait but I need FDoc to tell me where the biguns are. Out of the dozen I kept and the who-knows how many itty bitty ones I threw back I only had two that were decent sized...jfo

JFO the bream are fairly deep right now 6-12ft Fish with out a float, split shot only work slowly accross the bottom,or slow drift untill you find them. When you find them you'll catch #'s and the spot will produce year after year. Hope this helps you out good luck.

take quint's advice...couldna said it better. have caught bluegill over a pound and bigger shellcrakers doin this. (pound an a quarter) fish the deep holes out from the rock outcroppins from landin down.