Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
minnkota shear pin

Last nite my powerdrive minnkota busted a shear pin in the prop. This pin goes into a groove in the prop and thru a hole in the drive shaft. Its around 1 inch long by 1/8 diameter, a straight cylinder. Anybody know if somebody local carries this? thx...jfo

Re: minnkota shear pin

Depends on what you call local. SML Boat & Tackle in Penhook VA usually has a wide variety of MK parts in stock. This is on the Southern end of lake near SM Dam. I am going there Friday to get impeller and other maint. stuff done to my Honda. I'd be glad to aks him for ya. Just holler!

I always call Minnkota direct. My pontoon t/m speed selector went out. The service rep here in Henderson, NC wanted $25 for the change out kit $37.50 labor. Minnkota shipped me everything I needed for $19.00 including the shipping and I fixed it myself in 20 minutes. Tight lines & smiles. G

tx for the help. I really needed it this am so no time to drive too far. Bobcat's has a Minnkota kit with the nuts and the pins in it for around $23 or a new prop (with the pin included) for around $25. I elected to make one with a file and a lightweight aluminum tin nail to get me thru until the one I ordered on ebay gets here. We'll see how my filed down nail holds up. All I need now is some bubble-gum and a paper clip & you can call me jfo McGyver....jfo

don't forget the duct tape jfo!!

I would make more than 1.

jfo, if it's not to late you may want to hit the hardware store and get a roll pin you could have as a back up if your nail fails ...just a idea

Nail will work as a temp, I'd grease it up real good so it doesn't rust in place before the correct stainless steel one arrives.

Aluminum rust?

Used a finish nail to repair mine before. I always can a few of them in my tackle box just in case.
My bass partner during a tournament sheared the pin off his trolling motor (was able to save the prop) but he was sitting up front wondering what we were going to do for a trolling motor, when I pulled the finish nail out of my tackle box. He couldn't believe I was carrying finish nails in my tackle box.
But there's another reason for having them, I use them for weights on some of my plastic worms too. Cut them in half and slide one section into the front part of the worm. Make sure you enter the worm from a 90 degree angle first, then turn it once it's in the middle of the worm and then push it in until it's completely inside the worm, this way it won't come out.

theres been a nail in my omc for about 11 yrs. same nail no problems.

U used a grade 8 bolt that I cut to repair mine when I could not find a replacement prior to a T i had coming up. Tried lesser grade bolts and nails but i have an 82 pound motor and it kept bending all the others.

Jeff