Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Directions on the lake

Seems there are a few that don't know what side of the lake they should be on when running down the lake.

Sunday morning several boats I assume from a tourney out of up lake near Clarksville as there were several at the same time came by me just east of Goat Island very close while i was fishing with in casting of the bank cutting corners is not a good thing to do and there is no reason for coming that close to others. Had I went after those people and got there boat numbers i probably could have had them disqualified from there tournament. Guys a little common sence and proper boat handling goes a long way.

Re: Directions on the lake

You are so right Bob!! Some of those guys have no common sence!! They need to read up, before going out on the lake!

We saw the same boats before 7am since we put in at 6am at Island Creek. We were fishing a point on the main lake just south of the mouth of Grassy. You can't imagine how many Bass all these yahoos passed going to where? Glad no one got hurt cause they were all in a big hurry. Mike

Yea it is a spot on the lake where every Sat and Sun morning at daybreak the line cutters come by running 70mph with their motorcycle helmets on seeing who can get the closes without hitting you.

Seems some pepole need a line to tell them which side they should be on or maybe they think there in London

If you want to amaze people, idle past them if you think it is even remotely possible you might be too close. I get a lot of friendly waves b/c I choose to idle by at distances 99% of people would not slow to an idle.

Courtesy on the lake is pretty important - if for no other reason, for safety.

As far as the behavior of others, dealing with rude people is just part of life, unfortunately.

a 3/4 oz lil george on 20lb fireline goes a long way...in helpin people understand that all the lake i own is what i can cast to. don't test my accurracy at 60 yds, at 60-7-MPH...had a lot of practice.

Ha Ha Doc,
A 1 oz. C.Rig gets out there purty good too. If that don't get the point across a big ole zara spook will go about a mile. I just always assumed driving a boat was about like a car kinda stay to the right which ever way yer headed but have had to cut out hard to the left a few times for some idiot on the wrong side ot the road so to speak. My boat will run 50+ but I have no great desire to collide with anything else out there on the water therefore I'm perfectly content running 25-30 miles an hr. (gps) and don't burn half the gas either. Buggs aint to bad though, Yall wanna see some absolute pea brained certified idiots ????? Head on out to Smith Mountain Lake on a Sat. or Sun. From now til the end of summer. Where a life jacket and watch out for the idiots, there to dumb to nkow better.

Take a small pocket camera with you. A few years
ago, myself and partner were at Smith Mountain
anchored while fishing stripers. One crazy nut
on a bass boat flew by within 30 feet off port
side. We both carried cameras, so I decided to
take a couple of shots just at the right time
of the other boat. Being we were in my partner's
boat, and he wanted to report his unsafe actions,
I developed the film, and sent to the Warden's
office. Long story short, the pictures captured
the boat registration and the photo was very
clear that he passed too close and caused all
of our gear to tumble from his wash. The bass
boater was cited for reckless boating. While we
never went to court, the operater of the bass
boat received a fine and a warning. The same
warden informed us a month later that the same
boater was in a small accident off Penhook. This
might not work all the time, but having a camera
on board is just like a picture with a thousand
words, you never know when it'll come in handy!

What if the boat(s) hada been idling by.Do you think their wake would have been any better?Some boats are better going by fast because of less wake,while some are better going by slow.It all depends on the shape of the boat.But by no means should a boater come to close no matter what make.I'm with fishdoc on this one,an ole piece of lead can travel a long way and plus i won't have to cast as far when i take out after him.It won't be a first time i've done it.Ain't but two things gonna happen,i whip him or he whips me and i think i am a bigga nough boy to see the the first happens.Alot of people do it to some knowing well that the person that they are passing doesn't have enough in the back of the boat to catch'em.

You had best be careful about throughing a lil george or a lead weight at someone. You may get charged with 2nd degree murder. A piece of lead like that could kill someone.

Only thing I'm after on a really stupid boater that messes me up by choice is his prop. I sling a chunk of lead on cheap line to a spinning prop and just listen to my spool whistle till it's empty. These idiots usually collect one of my planer board lines so once I get my board back their prop gets the rest of my spool gratis. Ahhhh, the joys of SML Summertime!!!