Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kids & Fishing???

I had a general question about fishing regulations and how it relates to children under 16.

If a parent is fishing with a child under 16 - does that count as two legal fishermen - and does that double their limits, or does the child limits go against the parent/guardian?

Also, there are a lot of parents that don't fish - and a lot of single women raising children. It doesn't seem right that there has to be an associated, licensed adult.

Does anyone know how the regulations apply? The website with regulations wasn't too clear. Here's what it says:

Persons under age 16 are exempt from the requirement of a basic fishing license for inland public waters.

A youth under age 16 accompanied by a properly licensed adult may enjoy those privileges conveyed by the licenses held by the accompanying adult.*

A youth under age 16 who possesses the appropriate license or licenses of a parent or guardian may exercise all privileges conveyed by the license(s) held.*

Re: Kids & Fishing???

I just got a license for my husband to cover him and my 3 yo son.

I took it to mean 1) if the kid (under 16) is fishing by himself he does not need a license, as long as it isn't fishing for things that need a special license (trout). I would think if there are limits they would apply whether they have the license or not.

2) If kid is fishing with adult he gets the same privileges as the license, but I don't think it means double the limit, just the limit of one license.

3) If the kid is holding a license from his parent or guardian then he gets all privileges of that license, including special privileges if it is one of those licenses.

So my bottom line is I think no double limits and kid can fish by themselves.

Anyone else know different?

Re: Kids & Fishing???

DAN, IN NC, I BELIEVE A NON-LICENSE CHILD CAN KEEP THE SAME LIMIT AS THE ADULT. IT'S THE SAME AS HUNTING. THE GAME COMM. WANTS TO MAKE SURE WE HAVE CHILDREN FISHING NOW AND WANT THEM TO FISH FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. IF YOU DON'T START THEM FISHING EARLY IN LIFE, YOU PROBABLY WON'T GET AN 18 YEAR HOOKED. KNOW WHAT I MEAN.
SETTER