Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Super Tuned Low Profile Abu

Hey guys & gals, I cleaned and super tuned a Abu Garcia 1003Lp for a guy a couple of weeks ago and he told me it was the best reel he had now. The increased distance was fantastic and the reel was smoother now than when new. I was curious so I bought one myself. I cast it several times before I cleaned and tuned it. The casting difference really suprised me. I put the reel on a 7'medium action rod and gained about 55' on the cast. Of all the reels I have tuned,this is one of the best. Abu Garcia has a winner here. I am getting some more of these and will be cleaning and tuning them and letting them go for a reasonable price.Anyone interested, just let me know.
Bassman13

Re: Super Tuned Low Profile Abu

Let me know when you have them and how much $$.

Thanks

Should be sometime this week.

Bassman13,
I've got a couple older Ambassadors, a 6500 C-3 and a 5500. Great, reliable and tough reels except for two things,
1. The drag on these are crap.
2. No positive anti-reverse.

Is there a kit available to change this?

JD,
Have these been taken apart and cleaned? If so how long has it been? If the drag is slipping, it might be grease on the drag washers or they need replacing. The drag washers in these are do not require grease on them. The anti reverse may bee gummed up with old grease causing it to slip.I have several 4600s' and a couple off 5500s'and I love them. I have 1 5500 that is 29years old and works great. It is one of my favorite reels.I hope this helps. I will be glad to look at these for you.
Bassman13

If bassman13 works on your reels you can expect good things. He worked on mine and they perform GREAT now. John

I will 2nd that rowdy41 !!! Bassman13 cleaned & super tuned two old baitcaster reels for me. They are now as good if not better than new. I am very well pleased.
Thanks Bassman13 !

Thanks guys for the positive feedback. I try to treat reels for others as if they were mine. Some people think their reels work ok until they have them cleaned and Super tuned. Then they think WOW why didn't I do this earlier,
Bassman13

Thanks Bassman,
When I stated that the drags are crap I meant they aren't smooth, sort of jerky which I think is typical for ABU reels of this era. The anti reverse works but the crank handle has to turn backwards a bit before it engages. On the newer models its instantaneous. Just wondered if there was an update kit available?

Hey Guys!!! Some of you sent me e-mails about doing reels for you. I deleted them by accident. Plese e-mail me back and I will respond. The ones I deleted were sent Tuesday evening 6/12.

Bassman13