Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
looking for the large lime green corks to float brim

Does anyone know where i can find the large lime green corks used to float brim for catfishing ..i cant find them no where online or stores near by....thanks

Re: looking for the large lime green corks to float brim

Are you talking about the ones about the size and shape of a Baseball? If so, those are about impossible to find it seems, only place I can find them is Holly Grove Marina on Lake Gaston, but they are only in red.

yes the baseball size lime green corks ive seached everywhere even online and cant find them

Yeah man, I feel your pain. Seriously you're going to probably have to come to Holly Grove marina on lake gaston or something, it's an hour and 15 minute drive for us there, but we just make the trip every once in a while but buy like 25 of them at a time. I'm sure there are bait shops on Kerr that might have them though since a lot of people do use them? I know there was some at a bait shop near Kerr Dam....hope someone can help you more than I could.

Hey truecountry I got a dozen of the red,size of a baseball floats off ebay a couple of months ago.I will look for the seller and give you the details on them.tight lines all

unknownbassman, if you can get the sellers name please post it here or email me the name or something as well if you don't mind, would save a lot of gas, time, and trouble getting them off ebay.

I get mine at Ray's Bait and Tackle in Eden NC (336)627-1271 they normally have orange,red,yellow and green.

Hey Katnaster and Truecountry I found some on ebay.Not sure if they as big as what you are looking for.They are 3 inches across.Seller got 25 on sell now.Goes off in 5 days.Thats 3 inches across not around.Gonna check the ones I got to see what they are.Yep they are as big as the ones I have.He s got 25 bid is 17.95 right now and shipping is 5.95.All this work gonna cost someone.lol Just kidding.Not sure you want me post details on here.Let me know can give you auction number.

Ok, let me try to find them myself, if I can't maybe you could post the auction number or email us to let us know...thanks man.

This doesn't happened to me very often, but I can't find them on ebay...lol I don't know why, it's cool with me if you post the seller name or auction number here, or just tell us what search you used to find him....you don't mind do ya truecountry?

oh I forgot to mention they werent easy to find got to put in odd stuff.but anyway Katmaster and truecountry you got mail.if it didnt get thru let me know and i try it again.

I think BBIT sells them

Rays bait and tackle in Eden Nc had some Green ones and the orange ones too,I had his number but cant find it right now but he has a lot of different kinds of floats.

I posted the number a couple post back.

Buggs Island Bait and Tackle definitely sells them. We bought a couple of them there week before last. They're located on the north side of the lake right at the end of the bridge at Clarksville.

Can I ask you all something?

Why do you like to fish with such a large bobbers? Is it for auto-hook set reasons? I just have never used large ones because they tend to put tension on the line and some fish realize this and don't take the bait. I use a lot of pencil bobbers to reduce load tension and allowing the fish to take the bait and run with it. Depending on what size weight I'm using will determine the size of pencil bobber I put on. The bobber is usually barely above water.
Have any of you used balloons instead?

repainted some of my weighted corks and slip corks with flourescent paint makes them look just like new
never tryed green before it,s worth a shot. tight lines

I last purchased some at Bobcat's.

When slow trolling or drifting, you can put more weight under the big corks. This will keep your baits running at a more consistent depth. Keep in mind that regardless of the size of the cork, it is still possible to weight it enough that it's easily pulled under.

Check out catfishconnection.com they have a lot of big floats for use with really big baits. The problem I have with pencil corks or smaller corks is when we use really big baits if the bait is very active it will drag the cork under or into other lines and get tangled. I like them to be real active, bobbing alot and looking injured(ie..easy meal).

Eastside tackle on seymoure drive south boston. Right
beside best western when you cross the dan river on 360 not even a mile off of 58. The old gentleman that
runs it would sure appreciate the business.

The big bobbers, as someone stated are better for trolling/drifting. We do a lot of drifting with them in the summer, and also we use huge baits and usually 3 ounce egg sinkers under them. The Blue's don't have any trouble pulling it under and don't seem to care, I mean the little 2-3 pounders sometimes pull that thing under like you got a monster. Also, people jug fish all the time and catch tons of Blue's, those jugs are 10 times as big as the baseball bobbers.

Zakk

unknownbassman, thanks for your help man. Unfortuantely those are not slip bobbers though, they are the regular spring type. So I can't use them for catfishing.

Thanks for your trouble, good luck fishing.

Katmaster i use them as slips corks.all need do is run your line thru one of the clips and set it as a slip corks.it has a little hump to keep the clip from going all the way down.put on slip stop and the n a bead it works.you are looking for the ones that are the thill slips floats right?maybe next time i can help more.tight lines

For the larger bait wouldn't it be cheaper to use balloons and and blow them up to a certain size depending on the bait?

Uknownbassman, I see what you are saying now, maybe I will order some, it depends if I run out of the ones I have now soon.

Seacat, Balloons can be pretty aggrevating to use as bobber's for cats, for one thing usually we fish around 12-15ft deep with the bobbers and you would have to try to cast out with the ballon that far up your line....I do use them for Shark fishing, they are excellent for that because you don't have to set it deep in the summer at night for them.

Unknown bassman and others who it might concern. It's good to have some of them on hand. Witch I do, you can go from bottom to float in a quick. But after a good fish or two they start to leak. Ray's also carries them too.

I generally use the balloons like a slip cork. Use a small snap swivel and a line knot at a desired depth and that way you can gice it a pretty good chunk out from the boat. Also at night use a really small glowstick inside the balloon before you blow it up. Use white and yellow shows better. Hope this helps out alittle.

I make my own. Baseball size Walmart styrofoam craft balls. Get you some round plastic coffee stirrers, and punch a hole straight thru the ball the same size as stirrer. Push the stirrer, lightly coated with silicone sealant straight thru the ball and razor-cut stirrer ends flush to the ball. Lightly mist the balls with flourescent yellow paint. This yellow paint says yellow on the can but everybody that fishes with me calls them green. You can see them a mile away, I do know that! Go lightly on the silicone and very lightly on the spray paint. If you spray too much too quick it will definately melt the styrofoam!

Good post guys, those are both good ideas I had not thought of yet.

I saw some last weekend at parkway marina on smith mntn lake.