Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trolling

I have a 20' pontoon boat and have done my best to rig with rod holders for trolling. My question is how many you you use your outboards, versus kickers, or electric trolling motors? Please offer as much feedback on each. I would not think and electric could run most of the day? Thanks in advance!

Re: Trolling

For an electric motor find out how many amps the motor draws and the amp hour rating of your battery.
AMP-HOURS DIVIDED BY MOTOR AMPS = HOURS. Need more time, add more batteries. You may get 2 to three hours per battery running constantly.

BuschBoat1; I went to Hyco lake yesterday & caught 12 lm bass & between 40 & 50 crappie. All but one lm bass was cought trolling with a crankbait. I trolled with my 50 hp Yamaha at the lowest speed.
Cought the crappie on a curly tail jig in open water 10 to 12 ft deep.
I saw another guy trolling with his outboard also. He said that he had cought so many that he was tired and going home
Hope this helps, and good luck on your trolling.

I use my main engine (I/O Mercruiser 165HP) and have a Happy Troller plate that slows the boat to appropriate speed-1.5 to 3.5 mph for trolling leadcores and downriggers.

At the coast I use two 5-gallon buckets (different boat but same type engine) for pulling livebaits and deadbaits. I put fishscale tape on the buckets to flash and attract fish.

I know a fella that used to run his outboard for propulsion and his bow-mounted electric to steer. He caught a lot of hybrids at Jordan back then. He had his trolling motor battery hooked to his big motor so it charged as it ran.

BUSHBOAT1,
I HAVE A 350 I/O I TROLL WITH. I CAN GET DOWN TO 500 RPM'S WHICH IS ABOUT 1.5 MPH. I'VE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM BUT SOMETIMES HAVE TO INCREASE THE RPM'S TO CATCH UP WITH THE FISH. SETTER

water below 60 troll 1.5 to 2MPH. above 60 troll 2-5 MPH. use what gets ya there. hope this helps