Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Night Fishing

What are the night fishing opportunities on the lake? Long ago, I'd crappie fish with a floating light. If you catfish at night, do you use lights? Stripers at night, technique? And what about LM bass, do any of you guys fish for them, use blacklights, other? I welcome all information with the onset of HOT temperatures.

Re: Night Fishing

Back when I bass fished I caught most of my biggest fish at night on big jitter bugs. Lights dont work for cats but are a killer for crappie.

Lights can work, but it's a slow process to draw the food chain in the area. I start out with fishing for crappie for the first 2 to 3 hours, then I drop a line or two to the bottom for the cats. It's worked for me time and time again.
For quicker results, find a place where there's a light by a dock that's on every night and is close to a creek channel.

With 2 baby girls at home, I go out all the time for bass at night. I prefer it to be honest!! Big Moster worms in black, 1/2 ounce black and blue jigs with a red pork trailer, and 1/2 ounce BIG single Colorado blade spinnerbaits with a pork trailer on them have all produced for me while night fishing, but the spinnerbait has been the big boy catcher for me. I think it makes you a better fisherman to fish at night, especially with the big worms. I use no lights other than a headlamp, so you really have to rely on your feel with the jig and worm. Have not had much luck with topwters (buzz, jitterbugs, devil horse), but when I night fish I target deeper structure as it is usually between June and September when I go and that is where I have had the most luck. Look for any big humps or underwater islands and work them over good. If you go, let us know how you do.

NIGHT FISHING FOR BASS IS VERY GOOD ON KERR ONCE WATER TEMPERATURE GETS IN THE MID 70'S. I THROW BLACK BUZZBAITS IN WATER TO 10 FT.,PREFERABLY WHERE THERE ARE BIG ROCKS UNDERWATER. POINTS AND HUMPS ARE WHAT I TARGET ON MAIN LAKE AND MAJOR CREEKS. ALSO,I LIKE TO THROW 10 IN. OR BIGGER WORMS IN BLACK ON DEEPER HUMPS, TEXAS-RIGGED. THE DARKER THE NIGHT THE BETTER. THE BEST BITE FOR ME IS ABOUT A HOUR AFTER SUNSET TIL AN HOUR BEFORE SUNRISE. BIGGER FISH WILL BE CAUGHT AT NIGHT. THE CATS BITE BETTER AT NIGHT,ALSO. WHEN CRAPPIE FISHING AT NIGHT, I DO PUT LIGHTS ON THE WATER. HOPE THIS HELPS.
ABE

Night fishing is one of my favorite things to do! The big boys truly bite at nite. Fish are not used to being fished for at night so they will bite well. Everyone should try night fishing at least once. It humbles you to know how much we rely on our eyes. Its realy difficult to try to fish and not see how close your lure is to the boat.

Toby, you mention you use a headlamp. Do you keep this "on" at all times, for minimal light. Or do you turn it on as needed? I was thinking it could spook the fish if left on.

I should have mentioned that when fishing the jitterbug run them down the banks and fish the shallow water flats. It will out fish the buzz bait both in #'s and size but you must use the Big ones the biggest bass size the musky size and my favorite the jitter stick in the largest size. What you don't wont to use is a stop and go top water bait at night the steady retrieve is a must. Have also had luck on black, blue and purple worms on the drop offs at night but the biggest fish I've caught and seen caught were jitterbugged at night. Note jitterbugs do not work very well during day light but at night a true trophy bait. As far as lights the only time I turned one on was to unhook a fish or retie a bait, if that. good luck.

Thanks for the heads up on the big jitterbugs. I have used them, but not a bunch as I have never caught any fish on them at night. I will give them a full try next time I go out! I also, only use a headlamp, when retying or unhooking a fish. Oh yeah - and sometimes when my fishing buddy gets backlashes, not me!!