Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Catfishing near Goat's Island

I will be staying near Goats Island this weekend and most of next week. Does anyone know where in that area would be a good place to catfish? Also what types of bait.

Thanks Keith

Re: Catfishing near Goat's Island

Above bridges, cut shad and Live bluegill. closer to the rivers has been best for me.
Good Luck,
Mike

Its a good area. Shad 1st choice for bait 6in or bigger both live and cut. Bream,crappie and white perch are also good to have on hand. Don't waste to much time in one spot there is a lot of water to fish in that area.

Thanks, I've fished there only once but not for catfish. I know the water is around 40ft deep there. Is the deeper the water the better?

Also one more question, what's the best way to catch shad without a cast net? I use to catch shinners years ago on bread, just warndering if that would work here as well.

Thanks again Keith

I dont think you can catch Kerr shad without some sort of net, cast net is the only way i get them. You can buy them in NC on hwy 15 in bullock i think, at mathews grocery. $8/dozen live shad.
Good Luck,
Mike

In the channel depth will be mid to upper 50's. If you have a graph look for the fish and bait. See how deep they are fish that depth or a little short of it. The fish will often suspend over the channel or gather on wind blown ledges and points. As far as shad the cast net is the only way I know how to get them. All other bait you can get on rod and reel and must by law. good luck.

fished there last sunday two 10lbers &some smallers ones.6-8" shad on liteline.