Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bait for schooling White Bass

Me and a couple guys have been catching some nice white bass at Henderson Pt. from my 12ft john boat. We have been using silver and gold 3/8 oz. spoons. We are catching a lot of fish but we were kinda looking for a different technique. We have tried drifting and floating bass minnows also but we havent had the same luck as we did with spoons. Any ideas on any other baits we may could use.

Thanks Randy Faulkner

Re: Bait for schooling White Bass

At Falls the best bait seems to be a sivler 1/8th oz Kastmaster-no feather. Smaller fish will hit it on the surface but the larger fish are under them, very close to bottom-all this is happening in about 15-18ft of water. The surface activity is just an indicator of the carnage happening down below.

A mini rattle trap in shad pattern drives them nuts. Panther martin, rooster tail, and mepps spinners do good, I've killed them on anything with a gold blade. On the panther martins it seemed like they'd tear it up till the tail dressing was beat off of it and then leave it alone. Walmart has some blue fox spinners that I haven't tried yet but I bet they'll work good.

you can use a spoon or fly tied below a popping bobber. or try a woodchopper, take the front hook off and tie a 8-12" leader to the back hook and then a bucktail fly. Use a heavier line like 20lb so the leader is stiff so the fly doesn't wrap around your main line. You can use a small jig or spoon behind the woodchopper but they will get wrapped around your main line alot.

1/2 oz chrome lil' george. a buddy an i caught 17 citations on'em one day.

POP-R will bring them to the top if they are in the area. If they are schooling, I switch from POP-R to a cast master or george, depending on what they want. You shoud see the funny looks I get throwing a POP-R in the middle of the afternoon.

We went back with some mini rattle traps and kastmasters and did very well. The fish werent really schooling as much as they had been doing but we still caught enough to eat and have fun. Thank yall all for the info.

Randy Faulkner

I second this bait: ""lil' george"" Sand Bass as we called them in Texas, would tear a lil' george bait up.
If they're schooling and have any size to them, we'd throw a silver Zara Spook or a silver boomer A because most of the time we'd catch 2 or 3 at a time with 1 cast. Multi-Treble hooks and the fish fight over who's going to get it. Love how they fight over who is going to eat the lurer!

I like to use the Lil George and also speed shad. Have had really good results on both.

Lil George......cast it a mile!! So you don't have to be that close to the schoolin' fish!!

put it on fireline an ya can cast it a mile an a half

LIL' GEORGE AND KASTMASTER IN THAT ORDER, IN SILVER IF NOT SURFACING. WHEN SURFACE FEEDING I LIKE THE 1/8 OZ. SPEEDTRAP IN WHITE OR SILVER COLORS.
ABE

I'm going camping at henderson point next week was wondering if you would share info on exactly were your cathing them. thanx

from clarksville up

Well me and 2 of my buddies went thur afternoon and about 630 700 the smaller ones were scholling hitting top water we cought 2 citation white perch but no big whit bass... We got them on pop r s and the repaila org minnow.. I love the org minnow but my friend cought the most on the pop r... we are going back sunday morning witch is tomarrow and I will let you guy know whats going on.. Im going to try some other stuff to see whats up... Happy Fishing And Good Luck Donnie