Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
This Sunday around Satterwhite

This information was sent with a tournament confirmation. Figured some folks would like to know.

The Vance County Relay for Life is holding the third annual Relay, which includes a tri-athlon. That means there will be a lot of swimmers in the water in the vicinity of Satterwhite Point. For that reason Mill Creek in North Carolina (Satterwhite, Flemingtown, Anderson creek, etc) will be off limits from tournament start untill 10:30 AM. Launching from Satterwhite or Flemingtown is OK, You simply cannot get back to those ramps until 10:30. There will be no fishing in Mill Creek until after 10:30 Am.

Jim

Re: This Sunday around Satterwhite

Who will be there to block the waterway?? NC Wildlife??

Not sure if there will be "enforcement" or if it's just a tournament off limits.

Re: Triathlon This Sunday around Satterwhite

Good Morning Jim,
I've done the first and second Kerr Lake Triathlons, and God Willing, I'll complete the 3rd annual on Sunday morning. As you know from my sporadic posts on this site, I'm also a fisherman too.
Here's the scoop on the Triathlon, appr. 350 folks will hit the water at Bullocksville starting at 8:00 a.m., 4 waves of folks, in 4 minute increments. The Elites (really good Triathletes), will be back on dry land in about 20 to 25 minutes. Even the back of packers ( Slow Folks) should complete the swim in 50-60 minutes. I think certainly everyone will be on their bikes by about 9:15.
In answer to question about Wildlife Officers. I know for the first two years, there were at least two Wildlife officers there, as well as Coast Guard Aux. and Local Lifeguards from the Henderson YMCA. However, I was never aware that they made the area off limits.
As a participant, the only request I would have from boats going by is to please slow down to a no wake, as you go by. Boat Chop can really screw you up on an open water swim. It's a real choking/panic concern. You turn for a breath, and catch a face full of wave, choke/panic, then you're in real trouble.
It's everybodies lake! I wouldn't have it any other way. I know this group will be courteous if they happen by this group of Triathlete Machochists.
By the way, I do Triathlons to spend time with my 20 year old son. He's good at it. I'm one of those "Just darn glad to be here " folks. I complete them, that's enough for me.
Everyone have a great Weekend!
Dean Anderson
a.k.a. Southpaw

how far is the swim the run and bike portion in this triathlon?

The Kerr Lake Triathlon is an International Length event.
The Swim is 1500 meters, bike 40 km (24 miles), run 10 km (6.2 miles)
Kerr Lake is an intermediate distance as Triathlons go, with Sprint distance being the shortsest, and Ironman's the longest.