Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bass fishing shallow in September

I am bringing a friend up from Louisiana in September to fish Kerr a few days. I am from Louisiana and we always fish shallow, as you might expect. I have adapted to offshore structure fishing here, but I doubt my friend will enjoy this as much as shallow. Can we catch bass shallow in Sept? I imagine it will still be a summer pattern, right? Where would be the best places to take him for shallow (crankbaits, spinnerbaits, Texas-rig worms)? I was thinking up-river, but have never tried this area. Appreciate any help or comments on this.

Re: Bass fishing shallow in September

Depending on the water level, you can run a pretty good stump pattern in later September with topwaters and small plastics, Grassy Creek and the main lake going down Nutbush are loaded with big ones.

Another thing you might enjoy (if you have a GPS with a lake map) is to go all the way back into actual Grassy Creek, past the island and main flat. Aarons Creek above Clarksville, the the Staunton also will hold fish all summer.

Or, we may have a hurricane, the water be at 303-304 and we can all catch 30 bass a day flipping the bushes (wouldn't that be great).

You never know on this lake.

I agree with Musakman... If there's any high water, the plastic bite in the bushes can be good that time of year.

Later September would be better than early.

Florida rig a Baby Brush Hog on every small clump of bushes that you can find.

Thanks. I assume these are sub-surface stumps that I can find if I work up and down Grassy, near the actual creek channel.

I will definitely try up-river, up-creek. Am use to off-color water fishing anyway. I assume your remark on GPS/map is indicative of flats and lower-unit killers as one works their way up-river.

I think everyone who posts questions and gets responses like these owes the board something in return. I've posted about the few trips I've made and will continue to do so - so thanks for the help. To those of you who responded, if you include your Email in your post, I'll drop you a more specific line as to what I find and where.

if we get some nites in the 50's durin august, ya mite get some substancial shallow action in later sept. from my experience, you are more likely to still have summer patterns...unless ya go up the river.