Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
types of fish

can anyone tell me just how many different species of fish are in kerr lake?

Re: types of fish

I have often wondered why there are no trout in Buggs. It definitely has the depth to support them in the summer and the water flowing in for them to spawn. One would think that they would have gotten in there from the rivers above

I think that trout will stay where the conditions for them are the best and Kerr isn't it. As far as different species the best place to look may be the Virginia Fish and Game website

largemouth bass, striped bass, whitebass, smallmouth bass, white perch, yellow perch, walleye, white and black crappie, flathead, blue, channel and bullhead cats, carp, gar, bowfin, bluegill, redear, redhorse and white suckers, fresh water drum, threadfin and gizzard shad, golden shiners, bout all i can remember catchin.

I have caught way more white cats than I have bull heads from the lake. And have caught way more silver shiners than i have gold shiners from the lake.

FishDoc, how's thatg retired life treating ya?

its really ruff...this is the first day i haven't fished in the last 8...and i didn't have to quit at lunch an go to work, thats the best part.

FISHDOC; Where and what have you been catching the last 8 days ? Also are there no Pickrell or Pike in Buggs ?

Trout in kerr? The oxygon levles at the deeper parts of the lake probally go a bit low for trout in the summer, even if the temps are right. On the bright side is scientists are breeding a trout that can with stand high temps and low oxygon levles, so maybe in a few years the south will have a great trout fishery

high temps and low oxygen?? Sounds like a trouser trout to me ;) Sorry, could not resist

Seriously though there are pickerel in Buggs, I have caught two in the last two years and seen two others.

MOFISH, unfortunately the lake is full of pickeral.

Oops, there's also Walleye and a few smallmouth.

Thanks guy's. I thought there probably were but never cought one out of buggs. I use to catch a lot of them out of lake hunt ( the old Reidsville city lake ).
I'm a 99 % catch and release guy so I don't mind catching a pickerel now and then. Loads of fun on a ultralite. Not much good for anything else though.

i stand corrected, MOFISH...i've caugyht many chains from buggs, ya know how it is when ya get old...

No Fishdoc I don't know, I havent got old yet. I do remember when you use to pick me up when you drove the school bus. Remember, you would tell me that when I grew up you were going to teach me how to catch BIG fish

Fishdoc dealing with retirement can be rougfh but you'll get used to it. it has taken me three years to get somewhat used to it, the new boat helps a lot

A friend of mine retired about a year ago and he says he's so busy being retired that he can't figure out how he ever found time to work!

Whats wrong with pickerel? I love them, I know you guys probably have not eaten them because they do not fillet well and buggs is full of crappies but pickerel have the sweetest meat you will ever taste. I soak them in cider vinegar then boil them. Split the skin, flake the flesh and make fish cakes or other dishes. You wont regret the effort! Do not try this with redfin pickerel if there are any in buggs. They have lesser quality meat

Personally, i didn't mean any disrespect toward the chains, i love to catch'em. and they are excellent table fair.

add Madtoms and chain pickerel to the list, i heard they may be Tarpons but i also heard thats a lie, I don't listen to Fred much.

If you want to know what the deal is ask Joe, and that is no lie