Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
broken outdrive case

Does anyone have a clue how to fix a broken outboard
motor drive case. I have a split in my lower unit and
it won't hold gear lube. A new one in big bucks and
the boat dealership says it can't be welded (pot=metal).
Does anyone have a plan??? JB weld?

thanks much for your help guys.

Re: broken outdrive case

Sounds like you're (threaded metallic fastener)'d .Tell us how you did it so we won't make the same mistake.

Hey Tim,i got the solution you are looking for.It's called Marine-Tex.Most marine shops should have this,Overton's.com has it.But try your local marine dealer first.I cracked mine and was told to use this and it worked perfect.It's like a bondo but a heck of lot harder when dry.You can work it so that it forms to the origional look,especially the nose area of thew lower unit.This is some good stuff.Glad to be of some help.

Thanks mr. Buggsman, I'm a gonna give it a shot. Uh, in answer to how it was done, hitting rocks at speed will
surely test the stoutest of hearts. (actually I bought the boat, started the mojo, but never looked at the outdrive till I went to put grease in it, duhhhhh.

What part is cracked Tim?The nose?

Hey Tim,
I'm curious to know the location of the crack too. What year and brand is it?

I had a 89 Evinrude 50 with a large crack down on the foot abve the water pick-up and Jack Marley here in Burlington welded it for me and it has never leaked. So it can be welded.

Take it to the right welder and can be fixed

That's why I asked where it was cracked and what brand it is. I thought most gear cases were cast aluminum? If so, it can probably be welded especially so if the crack doesn't get into a part of the housing that supports the shaft, bearings or gears. I just went through similar, bought a used boat that got water in the lower unit which froze and pushed the prop shaft/gear assembly out of the case. There was no physical damage to the gear case, just the spanner nut, bearing carrier and one bearing that can't be salvaged. 3 different shops said it would be best to buy a used or re-man lower leg. ($900-$1500). Long story short, $200 for parts and about $250 for labor fixed it including a new water pump kit. I bought my own parts, did some disassembly, cleaning and leg work but saved a few hundred in the process. Unfortunately we live in a disposable society partially because labor is usually equal to or more than the parts. I just wasn't raised or taught to throw it away and buy new. If it's economically feasible I fix it or at least try. It usually pays to get a second opinion.