Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clicker or Not

Just want to know if most folks use the clickers on their reels or not. I have better luck without the clicker but I haven't caught anything over 30 lbs either. Somebody please help me out and let me know when, why and how (like when to set the hook) using the clicker. THANKS !!!!!

Re: Clicker or Not

I personally have had better luck without clickers with both flats and blues.

Same here danny b. I see that some of my questions about circle hooks were answered on the previous "hooks" question. Thanks for the reply.
By the way, I'm not new to this catfishing thing (48 yrs)I just wanted to get some input from others on the subject.It's really interesting how some questions will generate tons of replies and how others barely get a response. WHAT GIVES ??? I've tried this BB several times with little success.
Thanks for your reply danny b.

See ya on the water

The clicker will click whether the rod is in freespool or it is locked down. In freespool, the line release is controlled (not backlshing the reel). When I first started Striper fishing, it was cool to hear the clickers go off, especially 4 or 5 at a time. I still do this when I have someone that has never heard it before and they are schooled up good and feeding aggressively. Those were in "freespool clicker." Most times, as you turn the handle on a screaming freespool clicker, the fish is locked up. Only problem is @ SML, where I fish, by that time he's got ya in a tree! I leave the clickers on all the time I fish, but leave the reels locked down with light drag set. When pulling planers @ .6 mph, the clicker will still be heard on a hard hit most times, but that is "drag clicker"

It is my observation that when I use circle hooks, if the clicker is engaged and freespool, I will loose many fish. I think the freespool defeats the hook's ability to self-hook the fish.
Of course, I'm not the live bait fisherman many of you are, but this is my experience.

I always used to use clickers at hopewell. Man oh Man, you need to experience a big blue ripping a clicker like a 747 just flew by and hung up on the line! Now I use the clicker drag like linesider said unless I'm anchored and dozing off. Trust me the sound of a clicker screaming on a calm night WILL wake you.

Hearing the clicker screaming is about like hearing 6 or 8 Beagles running a rabbit. ( Love that sound!!!)

Aggressive cats and I use free spool with clicker, it gives me time to get the rod, get ready to lock the spool and set the hook.
If I'm dealing with mix bag of cats and I have small ones peckin' at the bait, some times I'll lock the spool down and set the drag low and have the clicker on. Figure a bigger cat will have enough weight/pull to pull the drag out and I'll hear the clicker.
If there's quick action going on with cats, I don't use it at all, since I'm probably holding the rod and focused on the line anyway.

yur welcome leosobo,freespooling defeats the purpose of circle hooks if you use them.

dannyb,
I've used circle hooks at the coast but never had much luck here with them. I'm gonna try again this weekend with the circle hooks. What size circle hooks work best for large shad and brim ?

I like the Gamagatsu #8/0.Just remember let them take it hard and don,t set the hook

ive caught quite a few fish over 30lbs without the bait clicker but with circle hooks. in my opinion when fishing with large live bait circle hooks work best, i lost alot of fish with staight shank hooks. would get a good hit or rod may even double over and i would lose the fish. when i retrieved line either bait would be gone or dead and chewed up from tip of mouth back to just before hook.
so i would imagine that i either pulled the hook out of the bait while it was in cats mouth or he just simply let go. so i switched over to large circle hooks(7 or bigger) and let the fish do as it pleases with bait click off and he will eventually set himself. it may take a while but it will happen.
i would say that my success rate doubled, but it is fishing and sometimes youll think a mack truck hit your rod and wait an hour and real it in and bait will be dead but thats just the way it goes sometimes.
i hope this helps some but i will say this, most of the time if you stick to your guns and fish whatever your comfortable with and have confidence in, you will 99% of the time succeed, even though that tactic may not work for someone else.

never used circle hooks before always used kahles would yall say that the circle hooks are better

From my experience It depends on your hook style. With circle hooks, its best to leave your reel engaged. With straight -J's, freespool your reel and set your clicker...

Another thing. When using a circle hook and engaged reel. Wait until the rod if fully loaded in the rod holder. I call it 3-eyes deep in the water. If you have finicky fish, such as just pecking at the bait. Give the fish time and again leave the rod in the holder. If the fish starts to move off slowly or even continues to peck. Chances are the fish has the bait. What you should do, is leave the rod in the holder and begin to turn the handle of the reel at a steady pace, not fast nor slow, but a steady retrive. and reel until the rod is loaded up and 3-eye's deep. Only then should you pull the rod out the holder and begine to fight the fish, no hook set when using circle hooks. I dont do the circle hook gentle sweep either. Once the rod is loaded up, chances are the fish is attached....

Thanks for all the good info. It makes good sense. I did pick up a little blue Friday night using the clicker. (1st of the year on a clicker) My nicer blues have been caught this year using the "three eyes deep" method. I like that saying. Thanks again
PS. The Dan looked a lot better in Danville today than in SoBo. It's lost the chocolate milk look at Dan Daniels park.