Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PFD for a 12 year old

I'm from Va. and have been fishing with my son for several years. Always thought as long as the PFD's were in the boat everything was O.K. Got checked out on the lake (gaston) yesterday by N. C. Game Warden and recieved a ticket because my 12 year old wasn't wearing his PFD. Seems to be a law in N. C. (but not in Va.) stating that anyone under the age 13 must wear thier PFD's. Never knew this law existed I thought as long as I had it in the boat I was O.K.
What a memorial day Cost of ticket $145.00

Re: PFD for a 12 year old

If the boat is underway i.e. not anchored or moored, he has to have it on. Once you anchor, he can take it off. You should wear yours as well, set a good example. They'll tell you straight up they've never pulled a drowned corpse out of the lake that was wearing a PFD.

I don't know about you or any others on here but i want to go before my kids and grandkids.

RAY
Excellent advice !!!!
BUGGSMAN.
I'm with you on that one for sure!!!!

A game warden in NC told me that it was federal law that children wear a PFD while not moored or anchored.

My kids wear their PFD's from the time we get out of the truck at the ramp till we get back in the truck heading home. no chances taken.

I agree that they should wear a life jacket, but my point is if its not a law in va. requiring them to wear one where is the state line on gaston lake and buggs island dividing N. C. and Va.

Bassman1, I'm pretty sure it's also the law in Va. I have a couple young-uns and looked into it last summer. I would love to find one that works but is not bulky and hot and does not cost big $$$$$$$.

Just wanted to clear this up for anyone that may be concerned. Wanted us all to be on the same page. Hope this helps.

Virginia:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating/wog/equipment-regulations.asp#Personal_Flotation_Devices

No person may operate a recreational vessel on federal waters with any child under age 13 on the vessel unless each child is either:
1.Wearing an appropriate PFD approved by the Coast Guard; or
2.Below deck or in an enclosed cabin.

North Carolina:
http://www.ncwildlife.org/news_stories/pg00_NewsRelease/pg00_may06_2.htm

The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission reminds boaters that all children under 13 years old must wear a personal flotation device, or PFD, whenever they are on a recreational vessel. The exceptions are if the vessel is anchored or tied to shore, the children are in an enclosed cabin or below deck, or aboard a commercial vessel.

I thought the same thing last year. I was trolling the bank Bass Fishing and my son who was 12 cost me a 125.00 dollars. I too thought if you didn't have the motor cranked up and was acually driving then you were ok. The Game Warden corrected me and no, he didn't write a warning either!