Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hooks and kats

I was thinking about the circle hook thread. When fishing with slip corks will they still work? It seems like when I tried the fish felt the pressur from the cork and let go. I was thinking of trying kahle hooks, from what I read they worked better than a J hook and still let you set the hook. Thanks for any input and tite lines. I hope no one was run over with all those boats out there this wkend. I went over 58 sat afternoon and boats were everywhere.
I relly appreciate all the info everyone gives out, it really shows true sportsmenship!

Re: hooks and kats

I have a catalog that might intrest you and any cat fisherman. It is call The Fish Net Company. Web www.fishnetco.com. They have every thing the mind can concieve in the way of catfish catching. They are located in Jonesville, Louisiana. I have found out through family ties the Cajuns are the fishing masters no offence to Fishdoc or any one here. Call them 1-800-256-5256 or e-mail and they will send you a catalog. Smiles & tight lines, G

sorry raymond no answer there, but here is another catalog you may want to look at www.catfishconnection.com it covers catfish and crappie.. tight lines

Raymond, I switch back and forth between the circles and non circles according to a few variables. If you get to a place where J, khale, or circles are producing equally you should use the circle as it generally results in fewer cases of hook thru the eyeball and deep hook mortality. There is good science showing that circles reduce mortality in catch-and-release fisheries even though some of the researchers would be well served to get more field experience. One researcher always counted to 20 before picking up the rod while a presenter I drove to see this year filed the sharp points off her J hooks to prevent them from sticking in the wood so much....both these folks have inhaled too much chalk dust from the lecture hall IMHO.

It is my view that if you have current, a bite that is not timid, or steady motion (like a blue or flathead on the prowl) the circle works very well. Most of those things reduce the feel problem you describe. You can allow the rod to really load up and miss rate goes down. I use a gama octopus circle. Bobbers plus circles need motion, current or lack of timidity or it simply won't work right; use a not-circle, release the reel, set the clicker and sit back.

If the water is slack and you do not have motion in the fish, or if the bite is timid, or if the fish are mouthing without motion, then I recommend to switch off to a sharp J hook or khale, unlock the reels, & get ready to set the hook. I use a gama octopus sized to bait and target fish here. There are certain times here on kerr when I cannot make a circle work and even though I use them 80% of the time there are certain seasonal habits that will drive me to 100% not-circles during those times. Good luck, let us know your experience...jfo

I guess some people have cabin fever worse than me LOL! The only people I have ever heard of INTENTIONALY dulling hooks were snaggers. Their belief was that a sharp hook only brought back a scale and a blunt hook sunk deep into the fish. This was in an area where snagging is legal year round. My father was a snagger for years. Those fellas had alot of tricks up their sleeves. Twice I seen my father "hit" something he could not bring in. The 50lb line rubbed on a ledge until it wore through. He respooled with 100lb mono hit the same thing later that day only with the same result. The rods he used looked more like a weapon than a fishin poll. His all time favorite was an 8' hickory poll about 2-3" across at the butt and about 1" or so at the tip. He had a penn salt water reel on it and a rubber ball on the end so it did hurt when pullin a fish in. Anyways, I am way off the subject as usual.
Thanks for the input and hopefully I will be on the water soon to put some of these ideas into practice.