Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hooks

Whats best size and type hook to use on drifting for blues using cutbait,want to catch them and release them as unharmed as possible Thanks

Re: Hooks

I use #8 gamakatsu Octopus. The only thing that I dont like is they seem to get dull fairly quickly.

Steel hooks require longer time to dissolve
than Brass hooks if you have to cut the line
and leave the hook. The typical size hook you
might consider using is between 5/0 to 9/0
either straight shank, offset, or circle hook,
whichever works best for you.

caprandt, i also use gamakatsu but use the octopus circle 8/0, great hook set and very sharp as well, just like the warning on the package,don't ask
but any hook you deal with has a barb,it's designed to go one way, you can get any hook out with minimal harm to the fish if caught in the mouth, if you hook it either in the gills or it has swallowed the hook it's best to cut the line as close to the hook as possible and release it,if the fish is bleeding best to keep it.
for a dull hook use a very fine sharping stone start at the tip and pull towards the barb this will leave a clean point.
hope this helps

I have been told not to set the hook when fishing a circle hook. I do not know if this is correct. Can anyone give an opinion? Thanx, Chris

A circle hook is designed to when the fish picks up the bait it hooks it in the corner of the mouth. No hook set should be needed. When the fish picks it up and moves it will set as long as the hook is sharp. I use a lot of cirlce hooks saltwater fishing and have never had a problem or a deep hookset.

circle hooks are designed to hook the fish in the corner of the mouth. its best to let the fish hook himself, just set back and wait til the rod doubles over. if you try to set the hook, 99%of the time you will do nothing more than pull it out of his mouth.
if you fish with alot of live bait id leave the straight hooks alone, if the size of your bait will allow use no less than #7 circle hook.
someone else may know something i dont but bait clickers and circle hooks dont mix, so just set yer drag and let the fish do the work.

both jeremyt and silent assasin are correct about letting the fish do the hook setting, lost more fish in the begaining trying to do the hook set myself.
and yes bait clickers and cirlce hooks do not mix.

Just wondering why you guys say circle hooks and clickers don`t mix, we`ve boated several fish (some LARGE) this year as well as in the past and use both of those items. Some are lost and alot aren`t , I think patience is the key and waiting for the rod to double over before grabbing the rod. If you watch the tip as it loads up you will see it twitch as the hook sets itself. tite lines to all, I hope this helps.

Todd

If the clicker is on then you risk the chance of missing the fish for the simple reason hes going to be pulling line and between the time it takes to pick the rod up disengage the clicker and reel tight the fish might just spit the bait altogether??

mr whiskers, if your bait click is on, your rod want double over, he will just keep pulling line.By flipping the clicker off while fish is running is just the same as the fish setting still and you trying to jerk the hook thru his brain, not going to work with circle hooks. now if by chance you heard the bait click click a few times and then flipped it over before he started to run, then i dont see why they wouldnt work.

since i fish mostly for sport, I de barb a lot of my hooks. I have found that fishing for bass and other gamefish you really don't lose many more due to not having the barb. I usually knock it down so there is a bit of a bent over nub there and not gone completely. IT certainly makes releasing a deap hooked bass easier.

Will a debarbed circle hook work or is there no need to?

just my opinion, if you debarb all the way on a circle or a kahle hook your bait weather it's cut or live it would have a better chance of coming off, and there you are fishing on credit.guess you could tie the bait onto the hook.just like any fish it would be able to throw the hook.

if you partly bend the barb over as crappy fisherman says,guess the bait would have a better chance of staying on and it would be easyier to remove the hook as well.

crappy fisherman i will have to try both ways the next time i am on the lake send me your e-mail and will send you a report.

Usually when a fish takes off with the bait and the clicker is sounding, I just engage the reel, wait for the thump(the effect of spiderwire and no stretch, lol)and when u engage the clicker and wait for it to couble over you have 95% of those fish unless he is small and barely has the bait, just trying to help some of the ppl who dont have sucess or never tried circle hooks. good luck and let us know when theyre biting, CPR Todd

after I started to use circle hooks i caught more flats by not using clickers than when i did.He will hook himself before he knows whats happening.And evereybody knows about thise mean blues,my favorite.