Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MAYO SPOTTED BASS

THIS MORNING WHILE FISHING AT MAYO I CAUGHT 4 BASS ON A ROCK PILE IN ABOUT A 10 MINUTE PERIOD. EACH FISH JUMPED SEVERAL TIMES AND WERE POWERFUL FIGHTERS FOR THIER SIZE. THEY WERE ALL ABOUT 15" AND HAD A SMALLER MOUTH THAN THE BASS I AM USE TO CATCHING UP THERE. THEY WERE A ROUNDER BASS ALSO. ARE THERE SPOTTED BASS IN MAYO? HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN BASS LIKE THESE AT MAYO? FISHED OTHER PLACES WITHOUT MUCH LUCK AND RETURNED TO THE ROCK PILE. CAUGHT 3 MORE AND THEN IT WAS OVER. THEY WERE SCHOOLING FOR SURE.
ABE

Re: MAYO SPOTTED BASS

Abe, i've caught spotted bass, they have 'tooth patch' on their tongue. have never seen any in mayo an i've fished there many yrs. the bass there this yr are really fat tho...and souped-up fighters!!! goin down tommorrow, bout how deep were ya catchin'em? thanx FD

FD THEY WERE NEAR THE DAM ON A HUMP WITH ROCK AT ABOUT 8 TO 10 FT.DEEP. I DID NOT KNOW TO CHECK FOR TEETH PATCH. THEY WERE UNUSUAL LOOKING LARGEMOUTHS IF THEY ARE IN FACT LM BASS. I JUST LOOKED UP SPOTTED BASS ON THE INTERNET AND IF I CATCH THEM AGAIN I WILL KNOW WHAT I AM LOOKING AT. I HAVE FISHED MAYO MANY TIMES AND NEVER NOTICED A DIFFERENCE IN THE LM BASS. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW.
ABE

Thanx, Abe. know just the spot ya speakin of. Cherokee Kid an i caught a 4, 5 an 6 lber off it yr for last an won a club contest in august. they were 20 ft deep where it breaks. glad to know they use the shallow part of it also. FD

Yea its the rocks to the left of the overflow building,theres some pipe sunk in the area to theres a LOT of bass in that area,centipede in watermelen worked good for me when I fished it!