Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leeches

Does anyone know of a place in the area that sells leeches?

Re: Leeches

Not sure why anybody would want them, but I think I read somewhere that you can catch them on beef liver. We had a pond that had them in it, a snapping turtle I caught in there one time was wrapped up with them. I'm not sure where they went after the .44 mag went off.

I thought people were crazy when I first started using them. Almost everything eats em. I have caught sm, blues, channels, bluegill, walleye, sauger on leeches. I don't touch'em I always used a pair of needlenose pliers to put em on a hook.

Try these people 906-358-4155 or 815.286.7312. They will ship right to your house by the pound.

Is there some place around here to catch some saugers? We used to catch them in lake douglas in east tennessee, maybe it was just grandma's cooking but they were great. Leeches probably aren't much worse than having to break a catalpa worm in half and turn him inside out. I haven't seen any of them in a long time. the things we'll do to catch fish....

Ray an interesting story about Saugers a friend of mine were fishing the Ohio River near Alliquipa Pa and he caught a Sauger but we didn't think much of it then 2 weeks later there was an article about a new state record. Well he had just eaten the state record the one he caught was well above that one! Ol well there is none in this area as far as I know, much to warm. However you may want to look into the small lakes near Creedmore NC I understand they are deep and cool.

Sauger and Walleye are pretty much the same thing with sauger not getting as big as walleye. I know that there have been some walleye caught in Gaston and Phillpott has them also. Both are excellant eating

The Tennessee and ohio rivers have sauger. I am surprised there are not any here. Bugg's and Kentucky lake very similar. Ky lake is just alot bigger and they run the generators there constantly. They shut down for a few days to a week usullay in June or July for repairs. The cool thing about Ky lake is that you could go through the locks and all the way to New Orleans. Also there is a canal between Ky lake and lake bakley for barge traffic. The sauger always spawn below the lock side of the dam. Ky lake has no yellow perch because of the water temp. It is strange that all 3 of those are in the same family and have such a different water temp tolerance.