Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Goldfish?

I've never been much into fishing for cat's, but here lately I've taken an interest in it. Several people have told me that goldfish is what seems to work the best on Kerr...my questions are...
What kind of goldfish? The kind you can buy 5 for $1 in a pet shop? Or is there a certain species of goldfish?

Do you use them like a minnow, or do you use them as cut bait?

Do you fish on the bottom with them, or at a particular depth?

Also I have a question about the Nitro Biscuits, my friend has had good luck with them in the last 2 weeks on a treble hook without the gravey, why do these things have such a checmical smell compared to other prepared catfish baits and why would that atrract a cat? The ones he's been using smells almost like what I would imagine bleach & diesel mixed would smell like.

Re: Goldfish?

I have used goldfish in the past with good results. You can buy them at Bobcat's. You buy them by the pound. I fish them on the bottom but have never tried them suspended or cut.

I have no idea about the other stuff I have never used it.

Robbie

I think shad is the bait of choice in kerr. Some people use brim.

hahaha nitro biscuits is what we used to call my ex-wife's biscuits, one bite and you'd blow up. Raw shrimp works pretty good, but it's hard to beat a shad either whole or cut.

Goldfish, Shad, Bream, they all work well. I've always had better luck catching BIG fish when using BIG BAIT!

when fishing Goldfish, use them live, and hook them in the meat near there tail. they are usually good lively baits, and last a good while.
Mike

Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I'm going to give the goldfish a try. After seeing some of the pictures posted of the large cats thats been caught here, I've definitely gotten fishing fever I guess you could say, lol.

GOLDFISH WORK REAL GOOD FOR ME ON FLATHEADS. I LIKE TO USE 8 TO 10" LIVE BAIT HOOKED ABOUT A INCH FROM THE TAIL. I LIKE THEM GOOD ENOUGH TO BUILD A I/2 ACRE MINNOW POND STOCKED WITH GOLDFISH, SHINERS, GOLDEN SHINERS AND FATHEAD MINNOWS. FOR BLUES MY BAIT OF CHOICE IS CUT CRAPPIES AND BRIM. THE 5 FOR A DOLLAR SIZE IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT. HOPE THIS HELPS.
ABE

the gold fish your talking about cannot be bought in a pet shop, they are not goldfish but are actually carp. if im not mistaken its illegal to fish with true goldfish. but anyway, you can buy them at most bait shops within 30 miles of kerrlake, but for the size you want to use they are pricy. $12/lb or 2.50 or 3.00 a fish 6" long. brim do well also, and though you do need some size to them, in my opinion a 6" brim as big as your hand is too big. they are to big to swallow hole and too much trouble to chew up when there are plenty on nice soft shad in the water.good luck and hope this helps out some.