Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
jfo

jfo, what kind of info. can you tell me about the river pro boats. Is there anything you don't like about it? What about the performance and the fuel consumption. Also where did you purchase yours?

Re: jfo

Go to http://www.riverpro-boats.com and click on the hipro. They are made south of St Louis, I met them 1/2 way here to pick it up. They have changed the standard motor to a 200 optimax which is what I have. Of the options on the page I would not get any livewell (so the deck is open and clear for a bait-tank), I have the stomp grate which will allow you to operate in trashier water than most jets. My boat is over 3 years old and is holding up well given the absolute abuse it takes 3-4 times a week.

The sportjet generally does not suffer the fuel misery that outboards do because the water flows into the intake and straight out the nozzle without any reversal of water direction required by the outboards. The opti will save fuel on the bottom of the range but IMHO wide open its same as any other big merc. I'm very happy with my optimax.

You really can run in 3'ish inch water if you're will is strong enough to stay in the throttle. Get a riverpro stuck in the sandbar and the 1300lbs will show to be a lot. I keep a come-along and oversized anchor in the boat for that reason but I've needed it twice only. Both times I got grounded I was trying to idle by fishermen anchored in the deep slice and I was trying to idle by out of the channel. The 1300lbs makes a very strong boat, you can jump over trees if they're near the waterline. Riverpro draws 9 inches or so if not up on step without the 800lbs of water I'm usually hauling.

I'm happy to give you a test ride if you're serious about wanting one. If I had a complaint on the Riverpro it'd be that the sportjets are loud and secondly that its a high performance thing. Forward/Stern weight & balance can cause porposing or nose-plow if the boat's loaded (generally livewell/baittank water) incorrectly. Riverpro's have very poor reverse. A jet is very different, it takes a season to get used to the differences.

Let me know any questions you have. Kevin Turner at Riverpro's a good guy....jfo