Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fishing with Chix Livers?

Please someone explain how do you get chicken livers to stay on the hook when cat fishing?
Do you tie them up in a womans stocking and hook the stocking with a treble hook???????

Re: Fishing with Chix Livers?

The stocking method will work.

If you're fishing off a boat, you can do nothing special and just drop the bait right over the side. If you're bank fishing or casting a ways, then you'll probably need something to secure the liver.

Other methods you can use are to let the livers cure some and toughen up and they will stay on the hook better. Or cut a piece of mono or sewing thread and wrap it around the liver and tie the mono off.

Thank you, JPritch. I have a new boat a 21 center console,(IT MAY BE CURSED) I have been to Kerr 6 times and only caught a few Blues and White bass......No Stripers!!!!!
I am trying to have a back up plan if the Stripers won't bite Saturday up around Bluestone......

When will they come back from the spawn, any idea????

Hey Bait Bucket: Just to give you a smile.......make sure your wife is out of the stockings first and the liver is out of the chicken. This would make a good cartoon picture don't you agree. Good Luck with your fishing......p.s. chicken livers are great bait.

U can also get some cheese cloth and wrap the liver in that then hook it and most of the time it will stay on good

Hook it in the grissel part first and then keep feeding the rest of the liver on the hook.You still may lose some when you cast,but if you believe in chumming then that will kinda help out.Just remember,if you think there is to much bait on the hook,then it's probably just enough.

Don't know if anyone else has tried this but it has worked for me. Get a package of chicken franks and a carton of chicken livers. Cut the franks into 1/3 pieces and soak in the livers & blood for a few hrs or until you are ready to put on the hook. You may won't to punch a few holes in the skin of the frank so the blood will soak in.
Through the livers overboard.

Fishdoc or someone gave me a good one. Wrap the pieces of liver in hose or cheese cloth. Put in an old ice cube tray and freeze. They will stay on your hook or where ever you put them then. Smiles, G

Mustad makes a hook designed just for liver/gizzars fishing,,#7904,its got a clip the folds back to hold the bait.

We haven't used chicken liver for bait for several years but your post reminded me of a trick we would use to toughen up the liver. If you take a cup and dump the livers out, get some Morton salt and put a layer of salt in the bottom of the cup then a layer of livers and continue to alternate until the cup is full. Then refrigerate overnight the liver will soak up the heavy salt and cure some. It will be much tougher. The heavy salt and blood really brought the eating size cats in. Good Luck, Bluejay

I have had good luck in the past using deer liver, and also pork and beef liver, The stay on your hook alot better too.

hooks have to be super sharp so you don't smash it all up in your hand trying to get a hook thru...but I switched to shrimp a couple of years ago, much better!

My Goodness thank you all for the help!
Wow, such a response to the chix liver question!!!!

Now....where do I catch Stripers this Saturday up around Clarksville???????????

Again thanx for all the trade secrets......

Bait Bucket (A new BISC member).
GOD-HONOR-COUNTRY (DAV)