Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stripers

Caught 9 stripers Monday (5/14) evening/night, caught on Rebels and flukes. All caught below Brookneal boat ramp.

Monsterbuk

Re: Stripers

water level is pretty low at 7.79', but if you take care and go slow you should be abe to get around pretty good.

Monsterbuk

where is brookneal? I was thinking of trying it at Ivy Hill maybe next week. Still learning my way around, I usually fish the nutbush area and gradually branching out learning new places. Later on I plan on trying it around longwood/ grassy creek a few times. If gas goes any higher I'll be stuck with Falls Lake.

Brookneal is about 30 miles north of South Boston on route 501. By river, it is probably 25 miles up Staunton River.

Monster...what's the water temp at Brookneal? Thx...jfo

that's why I'd never heard of it, my NC license wouldn't cover me up there. Thanks!

I put in at Ivy Hill last night and fished up toward Island Creek Dam and back to the starting point, I had the whole lake to myself as far as I could tell, and I still got skunked. That's the first time I'd fished anywhere besides nutbush, that may have something to do with it. I waiting for that magic moment when hundreds of fish come up and start surface feeding on anything that moves and it just never comes, but maybe next time...ain't that what keeps us coming back for more?

Re: Re: Stripers

Ray you are 100 percent correct on that observation!

Bo

JFO - water temp is aprox 65F according to the USGS Real-time water data. see link below....

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/rt

Right now there is not enough water to launch without backing off the ramp in Brookneal.

Monday and Tuesdays have been the days to fish since the Hatchery has been getting water to run the shock boats.

We didnt do much Tuesday night only caught 4 small stripers 20" - 24"ers.

Monsterbuk

My son and I caught 5 stripers (2 were possibly keepers didnt measure them though) this evening before dark on flukes. Caught them just below Brookneal boat ramp.

If you plan on putting in at Brookneal better be prepared to run real skinny water. And bring a bucket of water some of the crawfish were wearing signs "Will work for water".

Monsterbuk

you are right about waiting for that magic moment when they start feeding on the surface like that. Last fall we got on a few schools that way that muc=st have covered a few acres or more. Fishing is never better than that