Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rock at Weldon?

Does anyone know if they are still catching rock at Weldon? I know the season is over but are stripers still there? Thanx, Jenx

Re: Rock at Weldon?

Oh, they're still there all right...matter of fact they just got in there real thick...I expect them to be around for a while with this cool weather we've had and cool weather forecasted to return this weekend.

Re: Re: Rock at Weldon?

Yes, the fish are there, I guided last week with good success each outing. I used shad from the lake.
We caught them drifting and anchored. The fish fought on saturday with the heavy overcast and light rain. The fish should be there a little while longer.
Watch out for the rocks as the level has dropped a lot from what it was several weeks ago.

Bo

Bo,
by chance where you on the river with a fly fisherman last Friday? Took my dad and we cought a few but was slow for us. I did have one on for a little while and he felt and fought like he was bigger than anything i have ever cought.

No sir. I was guiding a client from Fredricksburg, Va. He has been coming down for several years now right after the season closes. He likes to catch a lot of fish but has no desire to keep any. We were within sight of the big rock all morning. He caught between 60 and 70. We anchored and drifted. My boat is a camouflaged polar kraft with a 75 merc. The guy you are describing may be Jack Eudy. Were you using shad or minnows from the store?

Bo

Bo, were you getting shad at fifth street or Thelma? Seems there are a little bigger at Thelma but it has been slow catching them at both places for me.

we were useing minnows, and I was throwing a bucktail every now and then.
How about the guy in the loud boat I bet you could hear him 2 miles away.

Hey guys I have been catching my bait at Thelma. There was plenty of bait in front of Gaston Dam last week. They were easy to catch if they were generating. You could also catch them if you got up there before light. I usually leave at 5:30 and usually am at Weldon by 7:30. Got to stop and get a bite to eat. Ha!! You are right about the larger shad being at thelma. I still have to pick through the small ones unless guiding. Big fish like big baits but sometimes you get lucky. My clients just want to catch fish. I hope you guys are enjoying the season on the river. It has been a strange one at best. The bulk of the fish are here now and should be around a little while. (I hope!!!!!!) Good luck and maybe we will meet sometime at Fraziers and eat some beef tips. Ha!!!!!!

Bo