Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lake Chesdin HELP!!

I am taking a trip on wednesday to lake Chesdin. Has anyone fished this Lake that can offer some advice. I live in va beach and have never fished before, just some tips on area and bait choice if anyone has some info to share. Its much appreciated..tight lines.

Re: Lake Chesdin HELP!!

This lake can frustrate the locals sometimes. I live 10 minutes from 7 Springs Marina and hardly ever fish the place, fishing can often be tough, but if they are biting, you can catch them. Good thing to fish during the week. Weekend boat traffic is like 95 near DC. If you fish it on a weekend, go at first light and take out by 9am, after that it is bumper to bumper. When I have had luck on this lake I have thrown and black and blue pig and jig in and on the edge of grass. The shore line of this lake is almost all grass, good fishable grass with 3 to 8' of water right next to it. I have also read other post of people doing really well on spinner baits in and around the grass, but that was a few weeks back, not sure if that is still the ticket. The really good guys have brush piles in deeper water and they do really well all year, but you have to know where they are at. 20lb+ bags are not uncommon for some, "2"lbs for others (like me) is also very common. If you catch one, it is a good chance it will be a nice one, Chesdin does have alot of 3 to 6lb bass. Please post how you do - good luck!

Re: Lake Chesdin HELP!!

I have fished Chesdin several times in the last three years. Chesdin is either dead or on fire. To me, it's kinda like fishing a tidal river. The fish will be biting and then shut down. I do know that I prefer the upper end of the lake and have always caught bigger fish on that end. This may sound crazy, but I have done really well with a magnum lizard or worm on a carolina rig. Also, this time of the year, a bubblegum or limeaid floating worm works really good on the edge of the grass and I have had some great early morning bites on tennessee shad buzzbait around points about midway of the lake. Hope this helps you out a little. Good luck!