Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Catfish this weekend

I was thinking of bringing my boat down this weekend for my first fishing trip at Kerr. Are the catfish spawning yet, or do they even spawn in this lake?

Based on reading past posts, it looks like the area by the two rivers, and most creeks, and sometimes the bridges around Clarksville would be good areas to target?

Re: Catfish this weekend

JPritch, you're plan is sound. The upper lake and lower rivers will pay you...jfo

Went last night from 5 until 9. Fished where Hyco comes into the Dan. Got 1 bite. Didn't catch anything. Fished with shad, chicken livers, stink bait, and night crawlers. Did manage to get soaking wet from the three or so storms that went through the area. Had a good time, beats working anyday.

Thanks.

Picked me up a map of the lake. I noticed a warning of shoals, rocks, and obstructions before getting to the split. Are these fairly visible? Any other tips you all can provide about this area. It will be my first time navigating that stretch...and it will be at night go figure!

I heard the "humps" in that area are good fishing, are these easy to find?

Other guys here can advise better, but you should certainly be careful up that way where the rivers split. Make sure you stay on one side or the other and don't make the mistake of trying to cut across the lake up there. I can tell you from personal experience, it is no fun trying to push your boat around!!! Good luck to you up there and post as to how you do with the cats.

TOBY

This area is not a place you want to go into at night. It would be your best bet to fish in the main body of water, sence you have never fished at the split. This is a good warning

Had a little tournament Tue. night(Huber) boys with the exception of Tony and Josh Milam, and Tom compton. We had 8 boats winner was 50.1 flat Scott& Rhoda Griles 2nd was 46.5 blue Brian Anderson & Joey Cash. Also and several ariound 20lbs. These were caught between bouy 23 and up both rivers.

Well, there you have it...the risk verses the reward. jfo

JPrich, went again yesterday afternoon. Fished about 100 yards upstream from the mouth of Gravel Hill about 400 yards off the bank. Caught some nice channel cats and 1 flathead about 20 lbs or so. This place is pretty non hazardous with plenty of water. Easy to find and easy to get out. Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll give that spot a try if I can find it.

I guess I won't try to venture up too far until I get a little more knowledge of the lake. I'll stick around the bridges and Bluestone and Buffalo Creeks and see if I can't get into some fish!

I'll be in a 16' Cape Craft center console. Give me a hollar if you all see me.

What size cats you looking to catch and what time of the day you fishing ??

JPritch, Gravel Hill is the mouth of Buffalo in case you didn't know, so it won't be hard to find.