Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crank baits?

Has anyone tried any cheap ($2-$3) deep diving crank baits that worked for them on Kerr? I am starting to believe trolling them right on the bottom is a good way to get a fish's attention, but with all the structure/junk on Kerr, losing Rapala DT16's and Stretch lures at $6.50 a pop or more is an expensive way to catch fish. I have also managed to lose a spoonplug so discovered they are not completely snag free.

Considering maybe the BPS brands?

When I do this, I would prefer to use this method in 10-15 feet of water, as I don't want to run aground or get hung up too bad when I find a sudden rise near shore, which is why I am using cranks with a 15' or more dive depth. My trolling speed of 2.5 - 3 mph seems to be working fine, which is nice because that is as slow as I can get even with tabs down.

Re: Crank baits?

order Buck Perry's book on spoonpluggin, memorize it. i troll spoonplugs with the intention of hittin bottom. thats what makes the fish strike, deflection. buy an learn to use a good plug knocker. it saves me several hundred bucks a yr. one of the main things is usin a plug for the depth ya fishin, ya want the plug to tip bottom not plow. trollin a plug that runs 5ft in 5ft of water will get the proper action, while trollin a plug that runs 10ft in 5 ft will keep ya hung up. learn to use ya tools. hope this helps. (get the book) FD

Re: Crank baits?

Thanks fishdoc. Might well be plowing the bottom, although it is the darn wood that seems to hang the lures most often.

I'll keep at it though, now if only something other than a bass would pick one of the bottom knockers up.