Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help at Kerr

Hey guys, I have a buddy who is taking his kids to Kerr for a fun fishing trip this weekend. Is there anything you care to post that would make their trip a more enjoyable one. I hear its been tough for some folks,but I'm sure someone is catching them.Thanks.

Re: Help at Kerr

GOOD luck ! I have posted here twice without much luck. I guess everyone thinks your trying to win a tournament. I use the bass fishing reports page as a tool to save some time trying non productive areas. This site hasn't had a lot of info on bass fishing (may be the weather) but you would be better off asking about the cat fishing they seem to want to share a lot of their info. I know it might get tight lipped around a big tourney weekend for the bass fisherman but isn't this page for REPORTS ?
Hope you find some info .
If anyone has replied to one of my posts ... THANKS

These guys are not fishing any tournament. They only want to have a good time. They will put'em back where they caught them.I dont expect someone to give up all their secrets,just to help another angler from out of the area catch a few fish and have a good time.

If bass fisherman want to look at reports, they need to post reports, it's that simple. The cat guys post their reports here so they are there to be read by others. (And I see a fair number of bass reports on here too).

If you are linking from the North Carolina Outdoors page that also has the Falls and Jordan reports (which are bass reports), understand that this is not a bass report page, it is a general fishing report page for Kerr. The other report link on the Kerr page at that sight is for bass, and you are right, there are almost no posts on it or they are for the W. Kerr Scott lake.

Anyway, I have been having no luck near the dam, and even trolled up to Bouy 6 and whatever the name of that creek there is with nothing but a little largemouth that I picked up off a submerged point near Striper City. I did note more marks the further up lake I went.

For kids your best bet may be cats or possibly panfish from shore, but I have not had a lot of luck with either one lately.

What part of the lake do you plan on fishing? If the guys know that it might help them focus their advice. A Clarksville report won't do you much good if you are in Nutbush, etc.

I think that bassers are a little more restrained than catters. Seems that way on most forums. But that may be because you can catch cats just about anywhere and that is not true of bass. Also I have noticed you usually get better responses if you leave out the kids,grapdpa's, my buddie, a friend and all that. A more direct approach always works better. ie...."anybody catching bass lately?" Jenx

They will be putting in somewhere around Clarksville. I dont post reports here because I live in SW Va. If someone is coming to Claytor or the New River, i could and would attempt to help them.

Reply to jenx- I thought by adding kids,it might open up some tight lips,wanting to see the future of Bass fishing, have an enjoyable time and perhaps continue to fish.

I fished Nutbush on saturday. I used a cart/white spinnerbait and chatterbait. My friend Rick used a 2-4ft diving crank(white and grey). We caught 2 bass per but no keepers. Mostly of drop offs and points that went from 3-8 ft of water. If using plastic, use a lizard(8-12 inches/ watermelon with chart tail) either TX or carolina rigged. This worked for me last year. Both worked decent for some other angler. Water sat was 65-67 degrees and lightly stained. Good vis in some areas up to 3-4ft down. If the water warms back up, try some top water early in the morning and late in the afternoon..pop r or a spook.

Buggs, yes I know. Thats why I offered you my advice. Jenx

Thanks to all who reply!

TXBassnCat- E-mail sent to youy8pf

Buggs...I'll give you a reply when I get home. Currently at work.

Was there this past Friday and had my best luck in 2-8' of water with senkos in watermelon or watermelon w/ red flake color. Tried spinnerbaits, and Carolina rigs but got most of our fish on the senko.

Bugs....I forgot to mention in my email...you can do the same with super glue.

TXBassnCat
Thanks. I may try that. I just cant believe a 12" incher. What size hook? Is this for c-rigging?

Buggs
was up last weekend. put in at OCC. if taking kids most of the time they aren't too particular about species they are more into just catching fish, i noticed a lot of bream in the backs of nearly every pocket i went into. I bass fish and did catch a few on jigs and floating worms but the bite was slow, about a mile down lake from OCC on the left there is one particular pocket that has rock on both sides and in the back a bunch of gray rip rap out in front of a big house. this pocket was loaded with bream and the short section of woody bank across from it gave up a couple bass on a jig.if the kids are a little more advanced on technique fix'em up a carolina rig with a zoom centipede (french fry) in watermelon or green pumpkin and let'em drag it around some of them rocky points.most of the time you can get some pretty good tips on this site but not many will give up thier honey holes. you can almost always catch a few crappie around the small bridge to the left of the boat ramps at OCC. i'd get a cup of worms a couple dozen small minnows and start off around that small bridge which is the mouth of sandy creek, may not need to look any further to have a good time . place is always loaded with fish on the depth finder. good luck

Thanks again!

If you are just interested in catching some fish and not worried about size, fish in Grassy Creek or Island Creek areas. Use big 8" lizards in Green Pumpkin and fish the bushes and the treelines. Fish them weightless if it is not too windy and fish them slow. As the other guys suggested, I would also throw some sencos and/or creature baits. If you dont get bit doing that, try some Crigs on the longer points. I have had better luck on the Crigs with smaller plastics like finesse worms or 6" mann's worms. That or shakey head rigs should catch you some fish.

TOBY

Use a 4/0 hook...Texas or Carolina rig.