This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tried FishDoc's trolling method

Hey FishDoc,
I went to Kerr for the first time this year over the past weekend. I had a fuse break and burn out the lead to my bow mounted trolling motor and dash mounted depth finder. I did have a transom mounted trolling motor. I have been wanting to try your trolling method, and this was the opportunity. I had no depth finder working, so I put out three lines with rattle traps and spinner baits, and trolled the contour of the lake, by bouncing the inside line off the bottom. When they were all three hitting bottom, I moved out from shore a little. It works. We caught a fair number of Crappie. Nothing to brag about, but it was neat trying a different style of fishing. Thanks FishDoc for all the good information you provide.

Re: Tried FishDoc's trolling method

ain't my method, Buck Perry invented this system, many yrs ago. but glad ya had some success

Always, Always carry a thin piece of aluminum foil in your t/b. A gum rapper will do. Wrap your fuse with foil and keep your hand on the wires to make sure you have no short and away you go. A little trick I learned many years ago. Smiles, G

Well thanks for sharing what you learned from Mr. Perry FishDoc! It was nice to try a method for the first time and it work. I didn't try many depths. I think I will work deeper water also next time. The crappie were nice, but I want a mixed bag. I thought the bass would be shallow from the spawn, but maybe the cold weather pushed them deep. Didn't see any of the shore pounders on their master blasters pull any fish.

GC, The fuse was old and it had broke somehow. It melted the inline fuse holder and I didn't want to straight wire the lead. I've ordered a few inline fuse holders from Boater's World. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind for another time.

Iknow you will be careful but if you melted your fuse holder you just may have a short some where, I have a tm on the front of a fish/cruise pontoon that my wife likes to fish from and this happened. The + & - had got together from a bad place in the wire. Smiles, G

Thanks GC! I'll check those wires at the bow before I hook power up again. I ordered 4 inline fuse holders in case I have a short that is hard to detect and for future problems.

Change your fuse holders to circuit breakers. It is easy to do and will save alot of time and headache. You can get them for around $5 each. Just a suggestion.