Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
boat problems

I have an older model deck boat. It starts great but won't go into gear. Forward or reverse! Anybody got any ideas what it might be and about how mush $$ it would cost?

Re: boat problems

What type of motor? Your hand control works two cables. One for the throttle and one for the shift. See if the shift cable is moving back at the motor. The shift cable activates a shift shaft that runs down to the foot and activates a dog on the prop shaft that selects one gear for reverse and one for for forward. Hard to say what it costs till you find out what is broken.

Start with the cable. Take the cover off the motor and watch the cable when you shift into gear. If the shift lever under the cover doesn't move, bad cable. Bad cable is an easy fix you can do yourself. Cable runs about $30-50. If the cable moves the shifter, then its the dog leg RU talked about. If you are mechanically inclined, about a 4-6 hour job if you take your time and it's your first time. Oh and get a service manual. These tell you in detail how to disassemble and reassemble. If you are not mechanically inclined, go to a reputable shop/mechanic. Most charge $65-75 an hour plus parts. May take about 3 hours with a good mechanic doing it. Good luck and hope this helps.

There is one more variable that has not been mentioned. I don't know your engine brand but most are the same. When you mash the red button under your shifter there is a little dog there that lets the shifter move foreward or backward. It is usually nylon and they crack and break with wear. If this is broken the shifter lever will not go either way. I lived this one so that is why I know. Smiles, G

if you have an older omc motor it could be low in lower unit oil.they are electric shift and wont shift if low or no oil . they also have an electric solenoid in the lower unit that will go bad and cause the same problem. bcat

the engine is a 1984 mariner. There is no red button under the shifter. When you shift into gear the engine will still rev up just not kicking in. It makes a sound like it is trying to just not doing so. And no I am not that good with engine work.

I have a neighbor that is top notch marine mechanic. I will run it by him tomorrow. Smiles, G

Here goes: Check your shifter cable as ru advised. Your throttle cable works if the engine revs up. Has the prop hit something to strip your foot gearing? There are so many varibles you have to eliminate. The red button or bar I was asking is what locks the shifter in neutral. You have to press something to release the shifter to move foreward or reverse. Smiles, G

First thing to check is the Owner/Operator. .

Had the samething happen to me that Glen is talking about. Sounds like that might be your problem not really hard to fix or alot of $$. Good luck

Sounds like a simple cable adjustment or a pivot point problem. Had a similar problem with the inboard/outboard and the peg had been pulled out of the slot while I was winterizing the boat. Be careful grinding those dogs or you could be looking at a lower unit rebuild.

Here is whats going on. I checked the cables and they are fine. Actually there are 2, one for throttle and 1 to put it into gear. Both seem to be doing there job. Glenn, like I said before this is a old boat (1978 slyvan deck boat with a rebuilt 1984 mariner engine 85 HP), no shifter to engage forward or reverse. The center is neutral and up is forward and back is reverse, just nothing stopping it from moving up or down. A friend told me that there a 3 small gears that puts the boat into gear that are probably messed up, anybody know anything about this? Thanks for everyones input (Except buggsman) for the info. I will keep you posted on what I find out.

There is a pin/shaft that normally goes down the back of the motor. This tells the motor fwd or reverse. It push the correct gear into place. Sounds like you need to have someone look at the lower unit. That old of a motor, someone should be able to fix it for $200 or less. I wouldn't bet on much more than that. If you want to have a basic idea of what the inside of your lower unit looks like...go here....
http://www.iboats.com/Johnson_Gearcase_Exploded_View/dm/session_id.014295708--cart_id.676384866--category_id.271287--list_time.1178298621--view_id.272925
Most lower units design are similar with little deviation from the basic concept. This gives you a good idea.

Here is the Mariner lower unit.

http://www.iboats.com/Mariner_Gearcase_Assembly_Exploded_View/dm/session_id.014295708--cart_id.676384866--category_id.268683--list_time.1178298911--view_id.272937