Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vacation

Started my annual 1st of May vac. with a trip to beautiful Philpott lake. Fished 6 hrs & 2 of us caught 12 smb & 3 lmb using 1/8 oz. hair jigs. Also saw a friend with 2 nice walleye. Let the week of fishing begin, will be going to Leesville lake on Mon. & back to Philpott on Tues. Will post results under this thread.

Re: Vacation

Looking forward to your reports

CC, Are you trying to say you are follwing in Fishdoc's foot steps or are you making him look over his shoulder? Tight lines, G

GC, FishDoc's foot steps are to many to follow, even though we fish many of the same brush piles, laydowns, points, humps & waters on any given day. Somedays it seems like I am fishing behind someone with a seine & go around the next creek bend & there sets the Doc. Only time doc has to look over his shoulder is when he hears me holler & ask, what depth are they.
Off to Leesville lake Mon. morning.

Best to you on your vacation of fishing. I used to depend and plan alike now I am retired and every day can be a fishing day. I just Crappie fish the lakes here and Santee. I go down once a year to my cousins annual BBQ just outside Augusta, GA. There are a couple of small lakes and a pond or two where the Brim and Shell Crackers look like the mid size Crappie here. They are fun to catch. My wife fishes out the back of the pontoon at our dock and catches some pretty good Catfish then we started feeding them now she had rather watch than catch. Luck to you and always tight lines and smiles. G

Finally I get through to the board after a couple hrs trying. Fished Leesville lake today with moderate success catching 5 lmb 12 crappie & 20 white perch. Water temp 61-67* & the lake very low. The ever elusive walleye which we were after for most of the day threw us a skunk. Will be going back to Philpott on Tues.

CC, thanx for the kind words(?) we caught a walleye at philpott sun, 10ft deep, downstream end of turkey, shiner. another mutual aquantince caught one at the 1MM trollin cranks. we got a 3lb smallie also. may try philpott myself, wed. keep us posted...luck to ya!

CC
I'v been looking for you at Buffalo. I'm thinking about coming down thursday friday and sat. Did fine last weekend. plenty of crappie. 9 bass in my cove in about an hour.

Ru, I have been taking the 1st week of May & fishing Philpott for about 7-8 yrs now, it is a beautiful lake & I love fishin it at this time of year.
Fishdoc, we caught 3 lmb, 8 smb & 4 walleye today. All bass came on 1/8 oz. hair jigs. Caught one eye on a hair jig, 1 on a shad rap, 2 on nightcrawlers & lost another on the rig, all in 12' of water. No walleye until the wind blew & the bass shut off around 9am until the wind picked up. Probably could have enticed a few more walleye if we had not been bass fishin. 3 eyes came from just upsteam & downstream of 6 mile marker, other one on upstream point of deer island. Water temp was 64 at daybreak & 71 at about 5 pm. Going back Wed.

glad ya havin a successful vac!!! mite see ya up there in the AM THANX

FishDoc, sent you a photo from Glenn that he forwarded to me

Philpott lake again today, 10 lmb, 8 smb, 3 crappie & 2 walleye. Water temp was 64-72*. A great day on the lake.

I need to get up to Philpott before you catch all the walleye!

RETNAVYENCM, there are plenty of walleye in Philpott, they stock 144,000 fingerlings each year. Been trying to learn & understand some of their habits for about 4 yrs now. Love to fish for them when they will hit a nightcrawler on a harness rig which they are starting to do a little bit now. Going to try for them again tommorrow.

we use to use lindy rigs in Colorado and Wisconsin as well as inflating our worms with a syringe a little bit. That seemed to help a lot. You can usually get a syringe from a vet or a friend that has diabetes. are you using the snagless walking sinkers? I havent tried Walleye fishing here yet but I am looking at getting back into it. The biggest I have ever caught was 9 1/2 lbs

HEY CRAPPIE CROSSING. GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE HAVING A GOOD VACATION. ALSO GOOD TO HEAR YOU ARE STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT LEESVILLE. LOTS OF NICE WALLEYE BUT THE ONLY TIME I SEEM TO CATCH THEM IS WHEN I'M FISHING FOR SOMETHING ELSE. MAYBE ONE OF THESE DAYS. I'M CHASING STRIPERS RIGHT NOW IN THE STAUNTON. HAVING GOOD LUCK JUST NONE OVER 8LBS YET. DID HAVE ONE TO BREAK ME THIS MORNING. TIGHTENED DOWN ON THE DRAG BEFORE SHE WAS READY. HOPE I GET ANTOTHE CHANCE AT ONE LIKE THAT THIS WEEKEND IN THE TOURNAMENT.GOOD FISHING TO YOU AND GOD BLESS!!!

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday we drank everything that was chilled in the cooler to help out with the heat & today we cut the heater on when we got in the truck after a day in the rain. The fishin was still good as we caught 10 smb, 4 lmb & 1 walleye.
Water temp stayed around 68* throughout the day & a lot of male bass are hanging around the beds at Philpott. Going to take a break on Friday & go see my grand daughter. Hope to try them again Sat.
RETNAVYENCM, all we use are 1 & 1/2 oz bottom bouncers & they are not snagless. I could get by with lighter weights now but just havn't changed to them. There are 4 places in this area that has walleye stocked, Philpott, Staunton River, Leesville Lake & Lake Gaston. I have caught a few in each place but more at Philpott.
River Rat, we caught Leesville very low which I liked but fishing was slow & then around 11 am my trolling motor lost 2 of 5 speeds. It was hard to troll nightcrawlers on the higher speeds that I had left. I'll be back at a later date. Has that little one caught a fish yet? God Bless & may your livewell be filled with lunkers!!

NOT YET CC SHES 16 MONTHS RIGHT NOW. I'LL GIVE HER A FEW MORE MONTHS. I HAD HER BROTHER ON THE RIVER AT TWO AND NOW HES 7 AND ENTERING THE STRIPER TOURNAMENT WITH ME. HOPE YOU FINISH OUT YOUR VACATION WITH A BLAST. GOOD FISHING EVERYONE AND GOD BLESS!!!!

Went back to Philpott lake again today & it was a beautiful day without much wind & no rain. Fishing was good again as we caught 16 lmb, 4 smb & 5 walleye.
Water temp was 62-65*. Vacation is over but we have another one in June. Going to church on Sun. & back to work on Mon.

Vac #2 was spent walleye fishing 2 days at Philpott & 3 days at Lake Gaston. Fishing was slow at Philpott & had to endure a severe thunderstorm & hail storm under someone's dock. Caught 12 walleye up there in 2 days which is slow for this time of year.
Fished Lake Gaston on 3 days catching 12 which is good for me on that lake. Four of them were citations weighing 5.33, 5.53, 6.74 & 7.95 lbs. Fish hit the best when generating water through Kerr Dam & it was slow the rest of the time. Nightcrawlers on a spinner rig fished from east of I 85 bridge to west of Holly Grove crk which is about a 6 mile stretch of water.
Off to Tweetsie RR with my wife, daughter & grand daughter for the rest of the weekend. Good fishing to all & it is back to work for me on Monday.
CC

NICE,NICE FISH CC.YOU HAVE THEM EYE'S FIGURED OUT.WAY TO GO,TAKE CARE.

Congrats! CC