Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Striper tourn. on the Dan

hey guys there,s going to be a striper tournament on the Dan River this weekend.Check with guys at the Boatramp in Milton and they can tell you all about it.All the money from last yr. is rolled over into this tournament.I think the tournament is 24 hours long.

Re: Striper tourn. on the Dan

Stripers are on there way back to Buggs Island...this years money and last years will prolly be rolled over again until next year!!!

We caught 4 stripers last night between 8 and 9 o'clock while catfishing at the mouth of Bluestone.

It seems to me, with the new regulations and so few stripers, that these tournaments would be canceled out off respect for the fishery. Continued overharvest at the peak spawning time seems very unsportsmanlike to me. I encourage all to bouycott these tournaments and tell the people who put them on that you don't approve. If it's a fundraiser, donate $5 and have them post an address and I'll send $5

it would be a good idea to make them like the showdown, released live or not counted. im not sure why its different but most of us who target trophy catfish, catch picture and release to give someone else a chance to catch them. ive often been fishing on the river and catching nice cats from one night to the next and wondering if i hadnt let the ones go the night before if id even be catching any tonight, just food for thought. but this is america and everyone is entitled to their opinion and beliefs but if we dont start looking ahead good outings will be few and far between.

It only makes sense to put most of the fish back in the water. Just keep a few to eat. If you check the Virginia helath sites you'll find warnings about limiting the number of fish meals you eat per month to about two for most types of fish anyway do to toxins in the fishes systems

This tournament has the same rules as a largemouth bass tournament:all bass are to be released alive if possible.

I don't fish the Dan, but I fish in Brookneal on the Staunton and my brother and I caught 38 this evening. Biggest one between 13-14 pounds, checked one of the fish and the eggs were still green.This week alot of my buddies have been slaying them around the Sportsman Club. We have been using white bucktail with 6in chartruese floating trailer untill about an hour before dark then using orange rebelsuntil after dark.

Anyone know what won, how many boats and fish weighed in? Wish I could have fished it, but no boat....

all i know is that a 12.4 striper won it.$2100.00 fish