Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
night fishing sml?

thinking of fishing night times on sml cause i have 2 work about 6-7 days a weel and its really the only time i have 2 go here latley. just wondering what areas i should look for for some fish and some areas thanks 2 all ...

Re: night fishing sml?

Try the Penhook area. Look for shad around the banks.Normaly they get on the banks around midnight.Throw something dark,brush hog or a 10" worm.A black spinnerbait works well sometimes.

we do good throwin "gotcha flattailed" grubs on 1/4 oz heads in the beaverdam to linville area. also try minnow plugs, broke back redfin, rebels, rapalas, etc. just find some clear water, ain't done to good at nite in anything but clear water. hope this helps...FD

What do you want to catch and how much time will you have to fish??

bass. and probaly form about 6.00 until around 10 or 10.30 thanx guys

Had good luck around state park and gills creek early in the evenings. Hales Ford Bridge area is great from Waterwheel to Camper's later, usually after midnight.
As mentioned earlier you can't go wrong with redfins, big colorado spinners and dark plastics.
Be careful out there at night, the traffic is already starting to pick up.

Can you catch a mess of Channel Cats at SML at night? If so, where are the good spots?

channels can be caught around Smith Mountain Marina area on the humps coming out of deep water onto the humps.

any fish still left on the bed? what areas thanx could possibly catch a few before dark thanx

from what i've heard there are still some on beds down towards the dam. hope to find out of friday. i'll let you know what i find out friday evening.

thanx junebug ill be waiting on yr reply

srry guys havent got 2 go yet but am planing on going sat. well post my report thanx guys... any others?

well fished sat nite around in blackwater with only 2 bites... and small ones at that. well i guess ill try something diffrent this weekend. was using jigs around some deep docks thanx guys. sorry i was not more helpful for u see ya on the water

FISH EVERYWHERE! I have said this alot over the last week. SML is tuff. Those who say bass numbers are down @ SML should just go down there and look around. FISH EVERYWHERE!Should be just about perfect for the Elite Series guys to come in and tear up in less than a month.

Lots of big fish getting caught at night on surface plugs....thunder sticks in the 10pm to 2am time frame. Hope this helps.

Skeetermaniac, sorry for taking so long to respond. Family emergency kept my mind on other things. Friday the 4th, had a great day around the state park. Found fish on beds and even more on docks, caught them on everything. Threw topwater, cranks and t-rig plastics. The bigger fish came on plastics around docks and laydowns in 8 to 12 foot of water. Took some time Saturday, the 12th, and fished the afternoon from around 2 to 7. Caught several nice fish at the mouth of blackwater and when I left the bait were moving up. Caught fish on points in 8 to 16 feet on spinnerbaits and t-rig plastics.

MY BUDDY IS COMING STRIPER FISHING AT SML, WHERE SHOULD HE GO, BAIT AND TIME OF DAY,,THANKS

It's my understanding that anywhere near the Dam area is not a bad choice this time of year.
While out this past saturday, i caught several small stripers (14 to 18 inches) on points with cranks and white spinner baits in 8 to 16 foot of water.
Later in the summer from b10 to the r22 it is great night fishing rip rap banks with redfins and husky jerks.

speed shads work real good after dark