This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Braging

Hey guys,
Many people on this site are requesting information on many different things, i think is awsome that you guys are so helpful. What i would like to hear is a bunch of you guys bragging about the fish they have recently caught reguardless of where and what species. I will start this thing thing off.

Yesterday on the exeter river i managed 9 rainbow trout and 3 brookies all between 12-15" i headed dopwn streem and found a schol of spawning white suckers and landed 3 all between 2-5lbs.

You guys are the bomb now lets see who caught the fish and can brag the best!

Re: Braging

I caught so many crappie at Easter the COE sent out a team to check the dam because the water dropped a foot when I pulled the boat out.

Saturday while fishing in Kerr Lake I hooked something. Ran my 40 hp in reverse until it ran out of gas and finally had to cut my line to save my boat and my friend. That should open your eyes a little. Smiles, G

Well my story is a little different, but pretty darn good. As some of you know I had a major back surgery back in December. Usually I fish almost year round, sauger n walleye in Febuary, crappie right after that, then bass until early summer, catfish through the summer, and going back to crappie as it begins to cool. I usually take December and January off to watch football.

Well this last year I hadn't been able to fish since last September! My cabin fever had spiked so high I thought there was no cure! Then Bobcat had his sale about the time I was able to begin driving. I picked up some jigheads that were on sale and grabed a bucktail. I had been reading about fishing all fall and winter trying to cure my cabin fever. It just made it worse! So I asked THE GREAT FD about his handtied jigs. I got some responce back from him, ray, and a few others.

My uncle had given me a vise and taught me a little about tying flies years ago. With all the extra time I went to work. I went to Physical therapy, rested, tied jigs, and then would repeat it all over again. Now by this time I had jigs everywhere. I was so excited at the prospect of catching something on a lure I made!

Finally, I was gettin round a little better. I couldn't take it anymore, I pick out my favorites and took off! On my way back from PT I got my rod and a small box of jigs out of the jeep at a pond nearby. It wasn't the greatest pond but I wasn't up to walking far either. I snuck up to the bank, layed my rod and began to look for the perfect jig. I finally decided on a nice white bucktail with a hand painted black and glitter jighead.

It was perfect! I layed the jig on a rock and begin to feed the line through the eyes of the rod. I was so excited I could barely get the line strung on the last small eyes. I turned around to find my perfect jig and IT WAS GONE!! I looked high and low around that rock, but it was no use. My perfect jig was gone, my heart sank. I sat down and got another jig out, this jig was almost perfect. I put it on a flat area of the same rock, turned around to pick up my rod and it was gone too! Well I looked high and low for those jigs. I had tied many this winter but most were down right ugly and the two best were gone before they ever hit the water. The pickins were slim, every jig looked about the same. I was determined to try one that day.

I sat the next best jig down on the same rock, but this time I was gonna watch it and see if it rolled. It didn't move at all! I turned around to get my rod again, but this time I kept an eye on my precious jig. Well I seen some movement out of the corner of my eye. I could believe it, the bass were jumping out of the water, taking my jigs and floppin right back in the pond! I knew then my jigs were pretty durn good. I will be selling them under the lucky craft name soon, just $25 a jig.

Well thats a great fishing story if i've ever heard one!

Raymond, When I was a teen ager I used to fish with my Granddaddy at an old bridge on Big Stevens Creek in SC. I had hooked something in that hole over and over and had my line broken again and again. One summer during a drought I was fishing there and I could make out something in the water. I looked very close and some one had run an old VW of the bridge. There was a catfish that would take my hook and swim in the VW and roll the window up. Never did catch that rascal!!!!!!

Ok Raymond, you win hahaha

Thanks fellas. I love telling fishing stories almost as much as fishing. Glen did that VW have electric windows or did he have to use his mouth on the crank? Maybe if we get some rain we might get a story out of FD. I look forward to meeting ya'll on the lake or going anytime!

Oh what the hell, let me tell ya'll a true story. It is no where as good but...

Years ago I did construction work up north. One of the guys I worked with had showed me a hole on a trout river. Now not many if anyone fished it because it was so hard to get to. We had to wade half way out into the river to an island. Then fight through the brush to the upstream point of the island. There was an old washed out dam there. The current was very fast along the island, but over on the other side was an eddy. You couldn't fish on the eddy side because of a factory there. It was perfect, too hard for most people to fight to.

Well, I went there with my favorite trout bait, worms. Not those big ole nightcrawlers they sell in the bait stores. By the time I got up to that point I was all scrathed up from the briars and half way tired. But I had made it to the honeyhole! I put on a worm and tossed him cross the river to that eddy. Now I had to hold my rod tip up to keep the line out of the current or it would drag my rig down stream. I caught a few little stocked trout, but I was huntin the biggun. Ya'll know, that one fish you will tell your children and your grandchildren. I already had been thinking, should I keep it and mount it or let it go.

About that time WHAM! He took my worm and it was on. I was so excited I could hardly take it. I knew once I got him out of that eddy he was gonna make a run downstream with the current. Sure enough he shot down river. I used every ounce of my 6lb line to play him. But with the giants weight and the current he finally broke off.

I was completly crushed! I had found the fish of my dreams, planned out catching him only to lose him because he was too big. I packed up and went home.

The more I thought about it the more I decided I was gonna get that fish. I got up bright and early the next day, bought some 8lb trilene, respooled and took off. I waded across the river, fought thourgh the brambles, and finally made it to the honey hole. No signs of anyone else fishing my spot, the weather was perfect. I made a cast of a lifetime, perfect, right in the eddy without the current to wash my bait away.

It didn't take long and he was on again! I couldn't believe I had a shot at my trophy again. It was like ALi vs. Foreman. I played the rope a dope tiring him out over in the eddy. I had adjusted my drag after I had respooled and was ready for him to make his run. Sure enough I seen a flash of his side and he was gone in the current. I let him take some line with the drag screaming the whole time. This time I was determined I was gonna get him up the current. I played him safe, just like a pro. I was so proud as I worked him in closer.

The moment of truth was at hand, my plan had worked perfect! I brought him over to bank and looked down. A big ole carp looked up at me with my hook in his mouth. S#@#!!!! All that effort and my prize fish was a carp That is fishin boys, no matter how good you think you are they always humble ya some days!

Tite lines