Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weldon

Went and fished below the boat ramp at Weldon Fri. Sat. and Sun. Fri. midday bite was nothing and then picked up about 15 and our limit after 4:00. Sat. other group outfishing us 6 to 1 with shad vs. shiners. Went and bought 5 dozen for $8/dozen. Bam! Got several fish too big and ended the day w/ over 20. Sun. bought more shad and got to 26 by 12:00 then had to go. We were using dead shad instaed of live shinners, worked better. Water as high as I've ever seen it. No rocks anywhere to be seen. I'll wait till later in the week or next week. Water temp. got to 58. Good luck! Until next time. Fish on!! Fish on...

Re: Weldon

Thanks for the report K.richard.We're heading out there tomm.for the first time.Were you drifting or anchored?Any other help would be great,thanks.P.S.thanks Dan river yacht for the info on the phone enjoyed talking to you.JP

We tried from the sewer steps to way past the second creek on right but started working shorter 40 min. drifting runs where we caught fish near the second creek. That creek may be called the Gut. Water depth was 26-31'. I never achor anyway, too antsy. Try to fish early. Good luck!

If you are using live shad, and the water stays high tie to a branch hanging over the bank and use enough weight to stay on the bottom. This will yield all the stripers you want.

Re: Re: Weldon

When tying to limbs watch out for no shoulders. They are on the move. Also, to help avoid losing baits to snags use a judas rig. This is a weight like you'd use with the shad. Beneath the weight on the end of the line attach a light wire hook. Walk the rig from one side of the boat to the other. This will help you find any trash piles. If you get hung up let out more rope so the shad is swimming behind the structure.
Also, the bait does not have to be on the bottom. I use a line counter after tying up. An impt. concern is determining where the hangs are. I will be down there wednesday fishing from Weldon to Halifax. Good luck and with the water high still run the river like it is dead low.

Bo

the water is down now. they dropped it some last night.
fishon