Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Carpet

I have a 1993 Procraft bass boat that needs new carpet. Has anyone ever attempted this on your own? If so, how much trouble is it to do and how much time is involved? Any info would be of tremendous help.....Thanks, Greg

Re: New Carpet

I recarpeted my 1987, 17' bass boat. It was really no big deal. I purchased the carpet, high grade indoor/outdoor, at a mill outlet on US1 in Raleigh. I identified a waterproof glue, spray on, and applied a coat to the carpet and the boat as I was installing.
The carpet was not as good as the originally installed, but it looked and wore pretty good. I see that Bass Pro Shops sells actual boat carpet if that's an issue.

I did my 78 Ranger. It has the old style "grass carpet". Got the blue carpet and adhesive at Lowes. I used the HENRY outdoor carpet adhesive. Let it dry well at least a week before getting it wet or it will come loose.

I know a guy who's wife re carpeted his Pro Craft. She did one heck of a job! and said it was easy!

Many moons ago I had a Sea Ark that I did. Just like the previous post used the Henry Stuff from Lowes and it turned out pretty dern good. A whole lot better than I ever expected. Key is to leave some extra carpet around the edges, several really sharp exacto blades.....AND TAKE YOUR TIME.

Okay..the time has come..I'm starting my re-carpet job this weekend...any suggestions on glue??...there sure are a lot of different kinds at Lowes....Thanks

You can get "indoor-outdoor" carpet glue at lowe's or
any carpet store. It'll tell ya how to apply it, it's
best with a linoleum(?) trowel, it has a slotted edge
on it, but any trowel will do, it just needs to be even.
Cut it oversize (the carpet) by a few inches and lay it in the boat, just like you want it. Peel back 1/2 the carpet on itself and put down your glue. Stretch it out when you finish, starting at the 1/2 way point and smooth it out as you go, till you get to the edges, you can pick it up and put it down in small places as you go so it's flat, on the edges a stiff blade, (scraper, etc), can be used to push the carpet down. If it doesn't stick along parts of the edge, you can re-glue later. Now peel back the other half (unglued) and do the same, pulling and putting pressure on it as you go (i.e. don't leave wrinkles), do the same when you get to the outside edge. A good utility knife with sharp blades (replace frequently as needed, go slow a careful around the outside, where you can use a straight edge (carpenters square, etc.). Cool, now you done, walk on it, be proud, get cards printed and advertise "xpert boat deck carpet installin, dun rite" or will install carpet for fish bait.
Tim

I have just carpeted a 16 foot tracker jon boat, and I purchased the marine carpet and Weldwood Dap Gel adhesive at Lowe's. The carpet was a special order. The adhesive I have used before, and it really bonds the carpet to the floor. You can do the job, but as others have suggested, be calm, patient, take your time, and by all means measure well. Good luck.

I have done 3 or 4 boats over the past few years. The best thing that I have found is to try to start in the center and work towards the side so you will be able to work all the wrinkles or air pockets out. After you get it down you can take a rolling pin like your mother use to use or anything that you can roll the carpet out with to make sure that it is good and flat. Also the glue that was spoken about from the carpet place in Raleigh at the carpet place (spray on) is some of the best I have ever used. Be sure to spray both sides. Goog luck! Not a lot to it.