Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FishDoc Philpott report

Anglers Choice tourney going on as well Saturday so quite a few boats out on the little lake. Water is crystal clear 10+ by the end of the day found some 59 degree water. Saw a FEW fish up on the bed by the end of the day and obviously many others had seen them as well. They were totally freaked out and we just did not mess with them. Threw the kitchen sink at them. The only thing we found that seemed to work were a baby boo jig in green pumpkin and a 5 or 6 inch lizard in green pumpkin/purple.

The most interesting thing is I am assuming there are lizards and or salamanders in most waters just never been able to prove it? Those little boogers @ Philpot were in the mood for love. Almost everytime I pulled that lizard up there was one that matched almost exactly my lizard attatched! Most productive areas the very back of cuts on blowdowns. If you can find one that has a creek running in seemed to be a +. Saw a ton of people carolina rigging points but that did not work at all for us. Caught a bunch of short fish and 4 keepers. Not a great day.....but not a disaster. Cant wait to see what it took to win the anglers choice deal. 9.5 won ours.

This lizard thing are they in most lakes or is that just a Philpott thing? With all the blow downs and the number of lizards that should be one hell of a lake!

Re: FishDoc Philpott report

thanx for the report...thats the only place i've seen the lizards attack ya worms, lizards, etc... fish won't bite'em, we tried fishin with'em. fished goblintown cr today and caught 3 bass and 3 nice crappie and a big 'cracker. biggest bass hit a devilshorse, behind a log! didn't see any beddin, yet. got a club tourney sat/sun, letcha know how we do...FD

Hey Shutup and FD---NEWTS are aquatic salamanders,they are adapted to living with fish by virtue of being bitter tasting.Bass who taste one as a youngster always remember not to do it again.BUT,throw a regular terrestrial salamander in there,and any bass,smallmouth or largemouth,KNOWS how sweet he is!I've had Newts grab lizards and worms in Philpott,Douthat,Moomaw,Peaks of Otter and places in WV.

Took 16 and some change to win.Very tough Sat.

CNAFF: you are absolutely correct on the lizard, salamander, or waterdog as being a top bass bait especially the smallmouth. We used to fish them years ago before going strictly artifical on Smith Mountain Lake, and they were deadly. The newts or pond lizards are worthless as bait as you so aptly mentioned.

first guy took me to philpott, bout 35yrs ago, we spent first hr up the spring branches catchin 'spring lizards'. had a lot of fun. caught bout everything on'em...LMB, SMB, trout, cats, crappie, big brim.

i had three NEWTS molest my senko today...at different times, they didn't gang-up on'em. i think one of the senkos is 'spectin now!

How did you do Doc?

caught 1 walleye @2 lbs, 3lb smallie, 4 LMB to 3 lbs, on shiners and a couple LMB on senko an spinner bait. finished 2nd behind Crappie Crossin in our company contest by 3 ounces. he fished on sat an we fished on sun...thought i was followin a seine ( we beat him by ounces last time we fished here!)