Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Loading Boat

We were at Rudds Creek launch area over the weekend, and a county deputy jumped one of our party about being in the boat after driving it upon the trailer and staying in it until it was parked. He noted that was illegal and was very stern in his warning. Drive on trailers have been used for decades, and it is normal to stay in the boat until you are out of everyone elses way as a matter of courtesy. Riding i the boat for 50 yards is no crime to me in the parking area, but he was stern in his warning. Just curious if anyone else has had the same warning.

Re: Loading Boat

Never had that problem before. Never heard of an issue with it either. I have stayed in the boat almost everytime while moving up, Even with the game warden's watching me, And have never had anything said about it. Maybe he was new and on A power trip, Or even having A bad day. I'm not sure about the leagal issues with it tho....

Larry....In the code (Title 36 PART 327) it says that vehicles should be operated only in accordance with posted regulations. Then, if you go to the COE site and look at the specific rules for the Kerr COE at
http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/jhkerr/rules.htm you find that there are
"17. No passengers on tailgates or in trailered boats."

I called Sherrie Storm at the COE to confirm this was directly applicable to pulling the boat out of the water at the ramp and she did confirm that the deputy was correct. She added that generally a warning is given if the person complies with the officer but that this is & has been the rule.

Wow, I did not know that. Thanks for your post, its an eyeopener...jfo

you'd think they'd have better things to do. Mr. Smith calls the police at 2AM and tells them 2 guys are breaking into his shed, dispatcher says all officers are busy, lay low. Mr. Smith calls back in 5 minutes and says take your time, I shot them both, they ain't going anywhere. Within seconds the whole house is surrounded, they arrest the burlars and tell Mr. Smith, we thought you shot these guys. Mr Smith says I thought you were all busy.

Having solved all other criminal activity in the entire state fo NC, the sheriff's department has nothing better to do than harrass fishermen as they pull their boats out of the water at the local boat ramp. What a croc! Sounds like he had some envy in the fact you got to do some fishing and his poor ass was stuck working his 12 hour shift. Some common sense has to apply here. I would understand if you were driving down the road while in the boat. Then by all means say something, but this a normal practice in many states. I'll get off my soapbox now!!

I'm not certain about enforcement of COE regulations however I am certain about NC law.

Boat ramps are NOT state roadways,they are public vehicular areas, therefore the deputy(unless hes a direct enforcer of
COE regulations-again uncertain there)has no authority to write a citation for anything other than DWI or careless and reckless driving, as the parking lotboat ramp is only considered a public vehicular area.

As an example, your local wal-wart parking lot is also considered a PVA, which means that you could take your teenager there, and spend the entire day teaching himher to drive in said parking lot without concern of you or your child getting a ticket for not having a license, as long as the child is not operating in a carelessreckless manner.

I have seen officers lose this battle in court more than 1 time, but if they knew the laws they are supposed to enforce things like this wouldnt be an issue.

rudds is in virginia

You know honestly wether it is or isnt a law. I would think that as long as you aren't going down a highway it shouldnt be a problem. Sounds like to me this officer was taking the matter to seriously. I mean its courtesy to stay in the boat and get out of the way for other fishermen to get in or out of the water.Id say stay in the boat and dont worry about it. Tell the cop to go arrest some real criminals.

Hi BF...good points. I did ask Sherrie about it. Her answers were that the COE gets enforcement assistance from the county during high load times (so the deputy is enforcing COE reg's effectively working for the COE). On the second part her position is that the state regs disallow people in a trailered boat, the COE is onrecord that that rule extends onto COE properties so that's the law. Give them a call and ask, this rule is a surprise to me as well. Being a frequent camper I knew that Rangers would stop you if you had a pax in the boat in the campground....but I had no idea this extended to the ramp loading environment. In hindsight, its very clear in the rulebook, I just never saw it...jfo

this officer shuold go to the big bass tourneys on buggs, he could write 200 tickets!!!

My thoughts is he did not get any the night before so he had to take it out on someone.

It has been a law for a long time but it one that is almost never enforced.Normally enforced with another violation. Tournament fisherman have done it for a long time. They should look at some of these recreational fisherman trying to load a pontoon boat on a trailer and take up the ramp for about 20 minutes ( and yes I have seen it happen)and still never get it right....signs are posted at a lot of ramps for 5 minute loading and unloading of boats. Sounds like this guy was on a power trip to me also.

Basnva123: I will make a small comment here to offend no one. I went to Longwood ramp the other day during a tourney practice day. There were two gentlemen in a 19+ footer with a very large engine parked on the ramp with the trailer wheels almost touching the water. They were both in the boat arranging their rods, etc. Finally one got out went to their truck put on hat, glasses etc and finally the other guy sat down at the controls and they backed the boat in the water. I stood very patiently and said very politely THANK YOU and proceeded to unload my boat. Do not know if they were part of the upcoming event or not. Just plain rude or no knowledge of any rules to my thinking. Smiles, G

He was one of those wish a coulda hope to be real cops. Maybe one day the rookie will get out of him. Wonder what he does to people that are disable at the ramps that are not handy cap accessable and can't climb out of boats. Hope he jumps my butt. I like to chew up and spit out stupid a-- people like that.

As a result of this incident, we are in the process of contacting our Congressman Rick Boucher in Southwest Virginia to see if the C.O.E. rules can be changed to state that "if a driver of the boat, not a passenger, remains in the seat after trailering the boat, until reaching a suitable parking space in the C.O.E. boat trailer parking lot, then this would be allowable under C.O.E. regulations" Maybe, this would allow us to continue to be courteous to others waiting to launch or load. I will try to keep you posted on our results. Remember "sportsmanship" starts with each individual boat.

I am not saying that the deputy was right or the boater was wrong but if its in the code book its enforcable until it gets taken out,whether theres a conviction in court or not is another story.And its the same ols whine you hear everytime someones has a police officer tell them they are violating a code or they get a ticket,don't they have better things to do,why don't you go catch a drug dealer or someone more important etc.etc etc.it gets real old!! If someone falls out of the back of a pickup truck or a boat being pulled and gets hurt old well you then hear somebody should do something! Theres a lot of vioations going on with boaters coming and going to lakes and a lot on the lakes as well,just to bad more violators don't get caught before someone else gets killed !!!

Two things here,he could have written the ticket and from now on look before loading or unloading,if you get my drift.Also Ivb,m going to check the N.C. laws on this

I believe he could have written two tickets if he wanted too.One for riding the boat out of the water and one for not having your life preserver on.If it wasn't being worn since your boat was in motion coming out the water.Not sure about the last sentence,but laws are like rubber bands,they can be stretched.I'm not sure what sparked this regulation,but something in the past had to happen for it to be on the books,i guess.

Larry,
Over 500 of us here on this board had a very successful engagement last year regarding COE plans & our Congressional reps. We spoke constantly to the COE as with the Congressmen and when it was all done everybody was friends and everybody (including COE) got what we all wanted. I really think you are on a logical track but I do recommend you phone up and get an appointment with Sherrie or other appropriate Kerr Lake prime and go down and sit with them to gather all the facts. I know from experience you will find them respectful, professional and open to discussion...you will also find that they are really straight-talkers. The worst that can come from this meeting is that you share views on the issue and learn all the angles. I cannot think of any downside. This just my 2cents...jfo

I along with most of you do the same thing when we take out. I don't know the law in Vir. but don't blame the deputy. He could have written a ticket but intstead gave a warning. He probably don't agree with the law himself but it happened in front of him. You same why ain't he out here looking for drug dealers? Is he suppose to keep his eyes closed until one jumps out in front of him. If some a hole was breaking into your car at the ramp should he ignore that and go look for a drug dealer? Now you are going to your congressman about a deputy doing his job. If it is a law they won't change it because if they change it and someone gets hurt they will look bad. As far as the deputy I would be glad he was at the ramp, they need to be there more if you ask me. Is tough to come in and your veh. has been broke into the battery gone and you live in North Carolina. I agree with most of you, but don't hang the messenger. I don't seen the harm in staying in the boat until your off the ramp. Just my two cents worth.

In my statement, in no way am I condemning the deputy for doing his job, he should do it, but a friendly warning would have been better instead of a stern one. My brother has been a chief deputy in our county for 20 years and is running for sheriff in this year's election. I am fully aware of all the mistreatment they receive as well as the bad publicity. My only problem with the C.O.E. regulation is that it is not practical because of clearing the ramp. If it was a dangerous situation, I would gladly encourage their enforcement. As for the life vest, it does not have to be worn in that situation only within an easy grasp.

C. Notwithstanding the provisions of §29.1-742 of the Code of Virginia, it shall be unlawful to operate a personal watercraft unless each person riding on the personal watercraft or being towed by it is wearing a Type I, Type II, Type III or Type V PFD.

Define "tow" in the above regulation from the DGIF.Most will say it is one boat towing another,but it could be enforced when your boat is being towed up or down the ramp still on the trailer attached to your vehicle.Sounds silly,but it really depends on who is doing the defining.

Having just completed a phone call to VDGIF in Richmond concerning life vests: Personal watercraft (jet ski's, etc. not boats) you must wear a life vest, but boats (bass rigs, etc.) you do not have to wear them, but they must be accessible and in reach. The exception is coastal waterways where individuals under the age of 13 must wear them. Lake Gaston comes under this provision since the Coast Guard patrols this lake according to the representative. If I am in my bass boat going down the lake, I do not have to wear one, but be assured everyone in my boat will have one on and secured properly. I hope this clears up the confusion.

Definitions,personal watercraft, teaching the law, teaching the dictionary? Are these things that would normally be associated with whats his name? Jenx

If the corps really want to make it safer for all.Then why don't they put a dock at every ramp?This is where the law gets fuzzy with me.I'd rather ride the boat to the parking lot and get out from the side of the boat rather than stepping off the front and walking the tongue and taking a chance of falling and hurting myself.This goes to show that common sense isn't inserted in most laws.I can see enforcing this law if there is a dock to where you can get out on and walk,but there has to be exceptions to ramps like Staunton View and others.Depending on how far one has to back their trailer in the water,that water under the front of the boat can be cold at times and deep.

About a month ago we were launching our boat at Longwood, I was in the truck and my two sons were in the boat (lifejackets on). A gentleman in uniform was there, probably a ranger. He walked up to me at the window and said "I want you to know it's against the law for those boys to ride in the boat while it's on the trailer, but I'm turning my head". Well handled by a nice cop!

Last Sunday at Falls Lake the three of us were up in a cove, 3 feet of water, throwing cast nets. A game warden came up and said it was federal law that anybody under 13 wear a lifejacket at all times while on a boat, on any water, unless the boat was anchored or moored to the shore. No ticket. Well handled by a nice cop!

Wander what the law says about me letting my 11 yr old launch the boat alone and hang out at the buoy while I park the truck, and then picking me up at the dock, while my 7 yr old rides in the boat with him?

I'd really like to know the law on this but I'm just as excited about hearing the opinions of others. Please chime in!

had the same thing happen to me a island creek ramp, it was almost dark and there was a few boats loading up ,My wife was in the boat, as i was pulling up the top of the ramp a ranger i guess was who he was yelled out to me to stop i just kept going till we cleared the other vehicles, he asked me why i didn't stop I told him it was pretty obvious, to get out of the way of others, I truly don't see that it is unsafe or I would not have left her in the boat, guess they will just have to write me a ticket

Bryan,I,m pretty sure the law states that you have to be 16 yrs. or older to operate a water vessel in the state of N.C.I might be wrong and I might not.Better check on it before it cost you a lot of money

I clicked on this thread because I thought someone was writing about loading the boat with fish!!

The only thing I can find concerning age requirements for operating a vessel in NC or Va is related to PWC's. That law seems to say that the age requirement is 14 in both states if you've passed a safety course and 16 if you have not. I can't find anything else! I also can't seem to find a safer place for my boys to be than on the boat, hanging out at the buoy, with lifejackets on of course, especially in all that traffic while we're launching the boat. I can't hardly make it from the truck to the dock without getting myself run over. If anyone is aware of a law prohibiting kids from operating a boat, please help!