Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Roanoke Rapids Lake

Just curious if anybody can tell me what's up with the water flow between Kerr and Rapids. Roanoke Rapids lake is down about 4 feet and dropping. It was very muddy and dropping water. Neeedless to say I didin't catch many fish. I know they drop it for the spawn but the power station website said it was in flood control mode. Wasn't aware of that much rain.
Thanks

Re: Roanoke Rapids Lake

Up till the last big rain I was catching stripers and largemouths in RR Lake. Since they started keeping the river up I have started fishing Lake Gaston. We caught between 45 and 50 stripers on the upper end of Lake Gaston saturday. A lot of the fish were small but caught several nice fish. I fished down rods in 18 to 22 foot of water. I am waiting for the fish to get to Weldon. I have clients biting at the bit so I am hoping by next weekend to see some fish. The RR Lake will continue to be up and down until they slow the water flow. If you must fish RR Lake shoot for the evening.

Bo

BO, have you seen or heard of any walleye coming out of LG yet. I saw where NC tagged about 500 of them earlier this month.

For a minute there I thought you meant NC had stocked some fish. That would call for a celebration equal to the Fourth of July or something. Smiles, G

I'm a little surprised that you would say that. NC stocks fish often. I believe they do have a slightly different management philosophy than Va. But I watched Strippers being stocked in Gaston Lake twice. It was very interesting. Chris

My meaning was I never knew they ever did anything to help the fish or fishermen. Smiles. G

Re: Re: Roanoke Rapids Lake

I will tell you one thing for sure. Next time you see them stocking STRIPPERS please call me. I will drop everything and come watch!! Ha!!!! Yes, we have caught some walleyes while fishing bridges for stripers and lmb. I have not caught one this year though. We caught between 45 and 50 stripers saturday up from Ameri Camps. Most of the fish were not legal, between 16 and 18 inches. Strippers heh,
wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Bo

Thanks Bo, it is good to see the game folks get aggressive in stocking those stripers in both LG & Buggs

Bo, I'm an occassional stripper fisherman. It is not unusual to catch 50 strippers in the 18-20 inch class on Gaston or Roanoke Rapids Lake. I hve done that twice this spring while LMB fishing. When would these fish have to have been stocked to be this size? Do you think all in that size would be in the same year class?(age) Thanks, Chris

Chris,

That is a good question. I feel these fish were probably released around the same time. It is amazing though at the numbers of fish this size in the two lakes. They use to stock fingerling stripers but I understand the fish released now are a little larger. I am not certain about that fact but I have a resource to find out. I think the mortality rate in fingerlings was to high so releasing a slightly larger fish would help increase population. It makes sense to me. Guys, I fish for stripers but the action with strippers might be better!! Oh well back to the ball game.

Bo

Preciate the info Bo. Chris

Bo,do you catch bait on the upper end of Gaston? Also do you know if they are catching any bait at Roanoke Rapids lake at the fifth street dam? Seems they have been hit or miss on the top side at Gaston dam? Thanks.

There was plenty of bait at the Roanoke Rapids dam off fifth st landing. They have reduced the flow and that will affect the bait. Best time to catch them is early or right after dark. There are a lot of small shad so bring something you can cull the bait out of. If you are going to the river any size works.
But, bigger fish prefer the bigger bait. I heard through the grapevine some guys were bootlegging herring in order to catch big fish. If someone is that desperate so be it. I will stay within the law and fish accordingly. I fish for the fun of the strike and fight; regardless of size. I guess when you get older certain things take a different perspective. Ha!!! I plan on fishing either tomorrow or thursday morning.

Bo

Bo, thanks for the info on the bait. I was thinking the bait should be there. I to like the sport of the fight. I have a 10 year old daughter that started going with me back before Christmas. She will get right up at 4 am ready to go.She caught a striper at Gaston that was about 6 to 7 lbs and is now hooked. I am going to take her to the river for some action. Thanks again, Steve

Hardroller,

That is really cool that your daughter will go with you. I have a 10 year old daughter that I drag around with me. She absolutely loves it. Well at least for a couple hours. I have had my daughter drive the boat while we were trolling for stripers at the CBBT. We were catching fish so fast that I could only fish 1 rod. She still talks about that day. To top it off she was able to control the boat as well as most people out there.

Enjoy em now. My boy is 25 and living in Raleigh. I miss our daily outing whether in the woods or on the water. We still get together occassionally when his schedule allows it. Good luck with the daughters and the fishing.

Bo

I guided a man and his 10 year old son a couple of weeks ago. I don't know who had more fun? The father, the boy or myself!!!! Ha!!! Its great to take a kid fishing. Patience is the key!!