This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Suggestions for Sunday, 4/22?

Hi All,

Looks like Sunday could be a decent day up there and all the tournaments at Flemingtown appear to be on Saturday.

Any suggestions on what to be looking for? I usually troll for stripers, but everyone says they have moved out of the lake to spawn, so that could be a waste of time and gas (pity, since I actually prefer trolling to drifting).

Fishing out of a 20' CC, so not the best to be pounding the shorelines and points for bass, but could always drift some carolina rigged baits on deeper points and flats for them if nothing else out there.

Preferably would like to hook up with some eating size (20-28") cats, blues or channels. Not really into the monster blues. Would cut shad or shrimp be a decent option either bottom fished or suspended?

I'm sure I'll enjoy a nice day on the water, but like to catch the occassional fish to add some variety to the day. I'd even be happy with a batch of decent sized white bass or white perch.

Any thoughts?

Re: Suggestions for Sunday, 4/22?

Fish from the bridges to the rivers, try cut shad, or live bream. . .the bream would be better for the flatheads up near the rivers. if your looking for eating size channels, i've had alot of luck around the rr bridge columns, caught some channels 2-8 lbs there recently. if your drifting for blues, try the mouth of bluestone and the area out from buffalo, both good spots. if still no luck, go up either river, i prefer the dan, which is on the left, and anchor up somewhere and wait.
Good Luck,
Mike

You could also try the river below the dam, I went Wed. and caught 12 in about 2hrs, all between 18 and 24". I will be on the flats with the big one on sat. morning. Its also alot closer than clarksville.

Scott, I was crappie fishing on Sat the 14th in Buffalo & saw single stripers breaking several times. If you are looking for striper action I would say there would be some in Buffalo & Bluestone crks but the boat ramps there may still be closed from the rains last weekend, but those crks are only 2 & 4 miles upstream from Clarksville.

According to many people much smarter than me....... The stripers are mostly up the rivers right now but there are always some in the lake close to the river mouths because they don't all go up to spawn at the same time.

i know ya gonna stay in your area. anchor. learn to anchor both ends so ya got a stable fishin platform. ya gonna need 150 to 200 ft of rope to anchor some of the structures ya need to be fishin. start by anchorin where ya can thro a bait up real shallow. put out several, in rod hollders so as not to lose'em. fish livers, shad, minnows, shrimp, cut bait, nite crawlers, stinkbait...to catch what ya lookin for, some eaters.if ya don't get bit in 30 minutes, pick up and go to a little deeper area. try points( 2 or 3) try the back end of cuts. check all the depths. hunt'em an you'll find'em. FD

Thanks everyone, esp. fishdoc. Yup, I'm probably still staying in the area from Flemington to the Rock Wall, and more likely than not somewhere near the mouth of Nutbush. I keep wondering about that cove up by Marker 2 that I have caught my few striper outside of. Seems to have some nice 15-25' flats in it that could hold something, and the point itself (north of A) always seems to have fish marks closer to shore than I normally troll, maybe perch or cats?.

I do need to get a second anchor for the stern, swinging from side to side in the wind has not been the best way to bottom fish.

Hopefully the Flemingtown ramp is not too far underwater to use tomorrow, maybe some of the bass guys fishing today's tournaments could post a ramp condition report on it?

A quick report: Water was high but the ramps were still useable. Trolled and bottom fished. Lots of marks while trolling, very few while drifting.

Beautiful day, but all I could manage was a 6" bullhead.

Oh well, was nice to be out and the water was nice and calm except for the occassional boat wake. Spent most of my time up around A and 2 and the point and cove in between.

Re: Suggestions for WEEK OF 5-7-07

hey guys, I will be up that week fishing the week of may 4th, I will be fishing for Bass, any help would be appreciated. I will be on the Virginia/NC line