Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Boat Traffic Tomorrow - 4/18

Thinking about taking the new boat out tomorrow for its maiden voyage. Total newbie at launching/loading. Was wondering if I can expect much ramp traffic tomorrow during the daytime near Clarksville. I don't want to be a ramp hog.

I will be going out tonight and practicing driving and backing up at my work parking lot.

Re: Boat Traffic Tomorrow - 4/18

I would be carefull around Clarksville after all that rain, anything could be floating in the water.

Does that apply to the whole lake? Or is there an area you can recommend.

Thanks for the heads up.

JPritch,Welcome to the wonderful world of boating. It is unlikely that you will run into a huge crowd tomorrow on the ramp. As a new enthusiast to the boating community you will find that there are all kinds of people represented in the boating community. Most will be courteous and patient. At one time , everyone of us was new to it. We have all jackknifed our trailers backing up, pulled forward and backward many times as we learn, forgot to remove all straps from our boats, and certainly forgot to plug our boats.All of which are recoverable, and most of which will draw some laughs. Very rarely will someone show their impatience. I suggest you actually take a 3 x 5 card and list the steps briefly you need to follow. 1. remove straps. 2. check plug 3. check rope etc. This is a very simple method of forming the habit of following a routine. After a few launches you will need no card. Good luck to ya. Chris

Just read the press release from US Army COE. Bummer.

Thanks for the info Chris.

I've been trying to read as much as I can about ramp ettiquette. Doing all the prep work and loading gear away from the ramp, and then getting ready for travel away from the ramp as well.

I will be sure to remember that plug!

Where did you find the press release? What did it say?

http://www.kerrlake.info/041607.pdf

There is a link on the home page of this site.

Basically says water levels are high, there is debris, and the conditions at certain parks and ramps "suck".

I would try putting in at Rudds creek. It has a wide ramp and the trash shouldn't be too bad.

the ramp at Oconeechee is a double and the ramp at Ivy Hill is a double. If you use a double ramp then the whole thing won't be taken up while you unload. You are getting good advice from others, I left my plug out the first time and realized it as my feet were getting wet and then a few weeks later I did it again. I should have used that card. Do not disconnect your bow strap until you are ready to float your boat off the trailer. I watched a guy a few years ago stomp on the brake when he was getting his trailer crooked and his boat ended up on the concrete ramp!! Have fun and remember to laugh at yourself....................

J

Lots of good advice coming from these guys. The card will surely help your first few times. I even put a tag at my bow hook to remind me to make sure the plug was in before unhooking the boat. I agree that it is better to leave the boot hooked until your trailer is in the water and you are ready to float the boat off. I put just a little slack in the winch strap then lock the winch. When I have the trailer in the water I start my main engine to make sure it runs before I even try and take the boat off the trailer. Once your engine fires it is easy to go up front and release the hook if you had a little slack in the strap. You don't need much slack, just enough to help make taking the hook off easy. If you do slam on the brakes the boat can't come off the trailer until you are ready for that to happen. Rudds would be a good place to start and less debris to contend with after the recent rains.

As Cross said, there is lots of different people out there. We hear about those that are rude all the time. However, last April 15, I fell while catfishing at night on my boat in Pea Hill creek and broke my hip. My fishing buddy did not know the lake or the creek. We finally made it into the dock about 5am. There was a man from Virginia Beach getting read to go bass fishing. He was kind enough to load my boat on the trailer for me. I will never forget his kindness. If you are having trouble, just ask someone for help.

Whenever I go to new ramps, I always walk the ramp and make sure it is clear and look for anythng that may cause you some trouble. Like many others have said, don't be afraid to laugh at yourself and don't get offended when others chuckle at you. I have seen some of the most experienced boaters forget things. It happens. All you can do is laugh and move on. My biggest advice...take your time!!! Don't rush the first few times. The card idea is great. Good luck and have fun!! Tight lines!!!!

You shouldn't have to worry about it now (water is so high) but be aware of where the end of the ramp is during low water times. I've seen trailer axles torn off when they fell off the end of the ramp

JPritch -

I wish all boaters would be as concerned about being a ramp hog, and for taking others into consideration. That alone says alot about the type of person you are and what type of boater you will be. Rudds Creek would be a good option as others have mentioned. A note card with all your reminders is also a good suggestion, I did the same thing my first few times out. I've have once tried to launch with my straps on - That's TUFF to do! And, finally my second trip out this year, I launched without my plug in - NOT GOOD! I had my 7 yr old son with me, we were launching 2 boats (a friend and his son in the other boat) I guess I was just excited to be going fishing, distracted, and next thing I knew we had 4" of water in the boat, just barely got it back on the trailer! Good luck and have fun!

If you're by yourself don't hesitate to ask for help if another more experienced boater is there. I saw an older couple last year get the Game Warden to help them launch the first time.