Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kerr Lake - Fishing for Dummies

Hi guys... I just came accross this site and I think it's awesome. I've learned so much.

Well, I'm brand new to the fishing world. I know nothing but dropping a minow in a cove and letting it wander around with a bobber on it's back. (ok, stop laughing at me)

I have had zero to very little success with this approach and would love to step my game up a notch. I'm kind of a midday to early evening fisherman (if I can use the term loosely) and would love to maximize my results and just catch something... anything... preferably bass but I don't really care what.

My boat is a Hurricane Deck boat with a trolling motor on it and I have tried some shore line casting with spinners, I have poked around with rubber worms (not watermelon colored but I'll try that next), and have tried a rattle trap.

Anyone have any help for this pathetic fisherman?

Maybe I should get a guide if one would take me out on my boat. I'm not sure if that is a taboo or not but would love to learn how to use my own boat for this. Any suggestions on teachers that would be willing?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

Re: Kerr Lake - Fishing for Dummies

Sorry, it might help to mention that I keep my boat at Satterwhite marina.

Thanks again!!!

77 views and no replies.... give me some love. Anything will do. You all had to start somewhere.

I think everyone is fishing, been on here all day and I think I am the only one reading and responding. Fishing in the brush and bushes with spinnerbait, jigs, and worms

Thanks Jerk Bait. Would you happen to know the satterwhite point area by chance? The coves seem to be wide open with not much in terms of bushes and brush that I am aware of.

Should I use stick to the watermelon colored worms?

Again thanks for replying.

Try a spinner bait on windy points with bushes. You might also throw a lizard around clumps of trees and drag it through the roots very slowly.

Yes stick with watermelon color on plastic worms

Rob has a good suggestion as well

Dave, I expect you will get lots of help. Truth is that most of us read here a lot more than we post. Most of us are not excellent fishermen and though you may get many views, no one may feel qualified to offer advice. But eventually the guys who do know something will reply. There is something else too that you probably have not seen. There have been a number of posts on here lately where someone claims to be a beginner when they are not. It's kind of hard to understand why they do this, but in no time at all they will be offering advice and telling about there history of catches. It's one of those unexaplainable things people do. Most likely loneliness and lack of frinds causes this. I.N.

Wow I.N.,

That's strange why someone would do that. Maybe it's sort of like golfers claiming they can't golf to set expectations low in case they screw up or make some mistakes.

Well, if this thread goes on for a bit, everyone will realize that I'm truly a newbie as I have only caught 2 fish in my adult life on a lake: 1 at Falls Lake using my minow method (6+ pound bass which I have pictures to prove it ) and a monster catfish which I caught at Kerr lake. The fish scared the crap out of me. Pretty funny stuff! I'm shocked that I got it off the hook. I have been banging my head against the wall for almost a year now trying to figure it out. I'm finally trying to get a little more serious.

We'll see.....

Hey dave,
I'm no expert, and i'm from NH, but fish are fish no matter where you live. My advice for beginers is to get to know 3-4 different lures very well. the thing about the fishing world is that there is so many different trends and lures and places to fish that it becomes impossible to soak it all in. If i may suggest 4 lures to get to know. First is a crank bait, my favorite is a cotton cordel. they come in shoe box full of colores and sizes, but you should match them to the bait in the pond. ie-Shad or crayfish to name a couple.
The next lure i love is a top water popper. this lure is very easy to use and even more easy to sense a strike from fish, because you actually see it. i like to use rebel or mirro lure poppers. Frog, or minnow patterns in poppers are often very effective.
The next bait is some sort of spinner bait. There are more different types of spinner baits than there are fish in the water! Keep it simple buy a couple different size blades in colorado and willow leaf styles and 3-4 different color skirts from dark to light colors.
The last type of bait is some sort of plastic worm. one thing i have been having a lot of luck with in recent years is the senko in my opinion they are the best plastic bait ever. they are easy to use, you can rig them a couple different ways, and you dont necessiarly need any kind of weight added to the bait.
There are many different things you can add or substitute for these, but for me, this has worked very well for me in the past few years. talk to a few more poeple and see what they think. I hope this will get you closer to filling that live well.

Dave, Dave, Dave, you are doing exactly what you need to do to catch fish. Get out on the water, thats where the fish are. When I get my new boat I'll take ya out there and we can both flail the water with various baits and laugh at each other!!!

Geo, Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go that route. I believe that I have some very close lures to what you are talking about but I'll have to check the box. I'm ready to just go and buy exactly the type of lures that you mentioned just to be safe. I like the idea of not making it super complicated.

It's funny as I'm still trying to figure out knots right now. I also have 2 poles, 1 with braided line and 1 with monofilm so I'll need to figure that out as well. Both are spinning reels.

RETNAVYENCM, thanks for the offer! Let's use my boat and go real soon while we're waiting for your boat to get ready. Just email me and let's hit the lake. Gas is on me!

I'm going out Friday morning as early as I can drag my butt out of bed and give it a shot after I do a little shopping at Bass Pro Shop or a local place.

Thanks for the offer Dave but thois week is very tough for me. We are having a pool put in and I need to be here when they are pouring the cement. I do appreciatte the offer and would love to get out on the lake. Keep me in mind Dave and thanks.

DAve sent you some e-mail

Dave,
If you leave satterwhite pt and go towards nutbush bridge and stay to the right and go under highway 39 and fish the 2nd cove on the right after you go under highway 39 you can catch crappie using your present method with crappie minnows about 5-6 ft deep you should catch a good mess of crappie, water should be around 7ft deep. I dont bass fish much, but when I do I work heavy brush with a black 7.5" culprit worm worked slowly around the brush. There is plenty of brush and cover in the same cove I pointed out above. Hope this help you some. Good Luck and Tight Lines.

TRAP

This may help you a little. Couple T's this weekend. Most of the fish it seems were caught anywhere from Butchers to Nutbush on spinnerbaits, senkos, pop'rs, and flipping the bushes with plastics.
Fish were on wind blown primary and secondary points in about eight foot of water except for the one in the bushes...

Baits I like are white spinnerbaits with double willow blades 3/8 and 1/2 oz, watermelon senkos, plain black and silver pop'rs, and then baby brush hogs in watermelon red fleck...

Guys, I love this!!

I feel like I'm already catching fish. I'm going shopping tonight for some stuff. I'll post what I pick up.

Any suggestions on the type/weight of line to buy for an all-purpose fishing experience (if that's possible)???

Right under your bow would be a good place to start. That whole no-wake zone around the marina should be slam full of all kinds of fish, especially when the traffic is heavy on the lake. That's the best floating fish cover you'll ever find.

Thanks vafishing,

Would midday work for this type of crappie fishing?

IMHO Dave mid day can be very tough :)