Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Falls Lake

My son lives right at Falls Lake. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to crappie fish. One of my employees is making me 2 set of rod holders.
I plan on going to see my son and make a day of fishing. We would appreciate any help you could give us.

Thanks/ Bo

Re: Falls Lake

Bo, check the N.C. board at crappie.com. lot of those guys fish there regular.

Re: Re: Falls Lake

Thanks sir. I will visit that website for more info.
If you hear of anything please just email me. I am having to put about all my energies into the river right now. Starting to take out clients for the rockfish run. I will eventually get away from the river guiding because the fishing elsewhere is so great this time of year. Good luck with the lmb.

Bo

i know whatcha mean...so many fish, so little time

FRIDAY WE CAUGHT A FEW IN THE BACK END OF LEDGE CREEK DRIFT FISHING 2'DEEP IN 3'OF WATER.THEY WERE MOSTLY HANDSIZE. WE WENT OUT OF LEDGE CREEK AND HUNG A RIGHT HEADING TO CHEEK ROAD.WE FOUND GOOD FISH FROM THE SHALLOW WATER BUOYS TO THE CHEEK RD.BRIDGE. WE FISHED THE EDGE OF THE RIVER CHANNEL.ON EACH SIDE OF THE CHANNEL THERE ARE STUMPS ABOUT 4'DOWN.THE CHANNEL IS ABOUT 24'DEEP.IT APPEARS THEY ARE SPAWNING ON THESE STUMPS AND THEN DROPPING DOWN IN THE RIVER. WE HAD 30 OR MORE OVER A POUND UP TO 2LBS. WE DRIFTED THE CHANNEL EDGES WITH MINNOWS,FISHED ABOUT 3'DEEP.BE CAREFUL BOATING THAT AREA DUE TO THE STUMPS.BO,I HOPE THIS HELPS. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP YOU GAVE ME ON THE ROANOKE SHAD.GETTING READY TO GO BACK THIS AFTERNOON AS SOON AS MY BUDDY GETS OFF WORK.
ABE

Abe,

Thanks for the info. Just got home from the river. We caught right at 100 shad this afternoon from 5 til about 8 o'clock. There are alot of shad at the head of the little river. The channel up the river is plenty deep. BUT, when you get to the head of the river stay way right. You will see the water running over the rocks.

Is the area you were talking about near Bartons Creek?
My son lives about 5 minutes from that landing. He was talking about us putting in there. I bought a map but have not taken the time to study it. Was thinking about trolling for crappie in that creek.
Or fishing near the bridge at nite with lites. Any info would be greatly appreciated by both my son and I. Thanks again and let me know how the shad fishing went.

Bo

BO!!!!

FISHING AT THE BRIDGE AT NIGHT IS THE WAY TO GO.
ME AND MY FISHING BUDDY CAUGHT 25 CAPPIE THERE BETWEEN 1 POUND UP TO ONE THAT WAS 3POUNDS 3OZ.

Abe, saw you leaving Friday evening just as I was getting there, I'll stop and talk next time. It got pretty tuff out there about midnight...wind, snow, sleet, rain, and fog. But the fish were biting so we stuck with it till 2 AM. We ended up with 50 crappie and threw back a bunch of small ones and white bass. Bo, just about anywhere at night, put out the light and they'll come find you.

BO, I AM FISHING THE FAR END OF THE LAKE FROM BARTONS CREEK. WHEN I SAID I WAS GOING BACK YESTERDAY P.M. I WAS TALKING ABOUT CRAPPIE FISHING AT FALLS. WE FISHED FROM 2:30 TIL DARK. THE FISH HAD MOVED OFF THE STUMPS INTO THE RIVER CHANNEL ABOUT 3' OFF THE BOTTOM. GO FIGURE,EARLY APRIL AND CATCHING CRAPPIES THAT ARE 20' DEEP. I GUESS THE COLD FRONT HAS CAUSED THE MOVE.MY FISHING BUDDY HAD 2 OVER 3LBS. AND WE HAD PROBALY 15 OR SO OVER A POUND YESTERDAY. A GREAT LAKE FOR BIG CRAPPIE AND BASS. NIGHT FISHING WITH LIGHTS IS ALMOST A SURE THING IN THIS AREA. TITE LINES.
ABE

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The biggest one I have seen was 1 oz shy of 3 lbs.
I need to start crappie fishing it looks like!
Thanks for sharing the info.

Bo

Ray,

You mean no floating or submersible lights are needed? That is interesting. Thanks for sharing info.
Bo

Abe,

Thanks for the reply. Wow, sounds like ya'll had a great day. Plus you caught something that is great to eat. Hickory shad are great fighters but as for table fare no way. Thanks for sharing the information. That is hard to believe they went from 3 to 20 ft. Hmmmmmmmmm!!!! You guys are good to pattern them like that.

Bo

Bo, no, I meant hang out the lights. I have 2 floating lights, a submersible light, and usually a propane lantern hanging over the side. I light it up pretty good. I went last night, it was an awesome night to be out there and I caught at least 100.

Sir, thank you very much for sharing the information with me. I will relay your help to my son. I wish he had a boat. If we go I will have to pull mine up there. But, I don't mind because the end result is a fishing trip with my son. Again, thanks. Hope you continue to have good luck.
Bo

ps Just walked in the door from a guiding on the Roanoke river. I took a man and his 10 year old son out. They caught shad till they were tired!! Ha!!
I love those kind of trips. Bo

Bo, I remember you now, I think I hooked you up with some dove hunt info down east last year. check your e-mail.

You probably did. I clean out my emails so I can't check. My son has a friend in Nash cnty. We hunted their farm and had a great hunt. I love to hunt birds whether quail, doves or turkeys. But my love is on the water. I will probably bass fish tomorrow as the stripers are not up here yet in good numbers.
You should plan an afternoon to come down in May and fish with me. Good luck with the specks!!

Bo

ps One of my fishing partners called me today and I was telling him about your email. He asked me how long the nite fishing for specks lasted. I not being an avid crappie angler told him I would ask an expert.
So, let me know if you don't mind. Thanks again.

Bo

I night fish usually right up until hunting season opens in Sept. and usually start back in March. Right now is prime time, later on they'll move deep and you won't see quite as many caught per trip. I'm going again tomorrow night, with all the wind and rain we've had I still expect to do pretty good just because it's that time of year.

We caught another 50-60 last night at a spot I haven't fished in a while. At first I thought I'd made a bad choice because it was muddy and tons of debris in the water, but we did OK. Coming out of there at 2 AM on a moonless night with trees floating everywhere was a little intense. I bet I saw a dozen beavers, probably made homeless by the rising water. We fished minnows between 2-6' and chart. tubes.