Hodaka Forum

Welcome to the Hodaka Forum.
Our mission is to provide a forum for questions, suggestions, tips, and discussions related to Hodaka motorcycles.

Like true "Hodaddies", please be responsible, friendly and helpful and keep content "G"-rated, as it will be available to children and child-like adults....

Happy trails to you ....
Steve Streeper
IdahoSteve
Arco, Idaho
PS - I'm a motorcycle NOVICE, but will be happy to help answer questions if possible. I'm relying on YOU guys to provide the expertise!

Forum:

Hodaka Forum

Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
1977 Hodaka Thunderdog 250ED For Sale

These are few and far between it seems, especially for 1977 since Hodaka only manufactured 1800 of these (Mine is #446 I believe). If you are looking for a project to restore, this bike has original frame & motor (all id # match) The tank and fenders were replaced due to rust, but we fired it up after 8 yrs sitting with minimal effort. It needs some TLC. The only issue is the shifting casing is cracked. If you are seriously interested I have photos that I can email to you. Asking $800/ OBO

Email  
Re: 1977 Hodaka Thunderdog 250ED For Sale

The 1977 ed250 thunderdog's had Peston Pretty mud guards as well as a plastic fuel tank?

Email  

Robert:

Your message suggests at least a couple of possibilities (in no particular order)

1. You have a 250ED but didn't know the plastic fenders and tank are stock.
2. You have a 250SL and the stock steel tank has rusted out and been replaced. The SL also had plastic fenders from the factory.

Unsure about what you have out here in Hodaka-land,
Ed
. . . and keep the rubber side down!

Email  

Darcy and Ed are correct about your model. If it is a 1977 model ( date of man. on steering stem)then is must be a 250 SL ( AKA Trail Whale ). There were over 4000 of these made so not quite as rare as the E.D. model. But at least it is a Hodaka.
Paul

Email  

Darcy back again.Robert if it's a ED250 your frame number should start with the letter J and the engine number will start with the letter N. On the SL250 I'm not to sure but think it was the letter N on the frame and R on the engine number. Hope this helps.

Email  

Here is just one question. Reportedly Hodaka manufactured four thousand trail whales. How many Thunderdogs were produced? Inquiring minds want to know.

Email  

I'VE BEEN TOLD 1800 WERE MADE AND ONLY 47 TO 50 WERE SENT DOWN UNDER TO AUSTRALIA

Email  

Sorry, my mistake. It is a 250ED (frame & engine # confirmed). The owner previous to me had told me about the fenders & tank rusting and therefore I bought the replacement ones for it since it was without either when I obtained it. Though I am an avid rider, this has been the only Hodaka I have been familiar to. I appreciate the info regarding the original fenders & tires. I do know that there was only 1800 made for the 1977 model year. It is a great bike. A lot of memories and one of the first dirt bikes (and heaviest) I have ever rode. It just deserves more time & attention than I have to give it anymore. ANY takers?

Email  

Robert

Where is the bike located? Do you have pictures?

Email  

I am in central California. Yes, I do have pics

Email  

I have one for sale. 1977 Thunderdog I am only the second owner, have the title, and I beleive the bike only has 400 original miles! Runs Great, needs nothing except new fork seals!
$1500

Eric.Jones@hillsdale.edu

Email  

i am looking for a nice hodaka thunderdog left side panel,exhaust side if you have one for sale call me at 573 374 4664 or list it on e bay,jim

Email  

Is it sold? Kelly

Email  

Mine is still for sale, but I am not seeling any parts.. only the complete bike

Email  

what type oil's do i use in my 250 SL ? THE OLD OWNER SAID HE NEVER PUT ANYTHING IN THE PLASTIC TANK IN FRONT OF THE GAS TANK. HE SAID HE MIXED 2 CYCLE OIL BEFORE ADDING IT. I know this shouldnt be right. I think it is the SL the frame # starts with N & the engine starts with a R. I just bought this, it runs better than any bike I have ever had. I need a lot of cosmetic parts though. I dont even know the year but think these were only made in 1977 to 1979. any info would be appreciated. I live in st louis. thanks, my email is juliesstuff2@aol.com.

Email  

So the DPO (Dreaded Previous Owner) didn't trust them there new fangled oil injekshun sistems . . . and only ran pre-mix fuel. That was probably just fine - but it leaves the questions, "Did the DPO remove the oil injection pump? Or has it been runing without lubrication for the life of the machine?"

Sooooooo, before you switch over to running straight gasoline and the oil injection system, you should make sure the pump is there and is still working properly. (Or just keep running pre-mix)

Ed

I need a stator assembly for my 77 250SL, any help?

818 438 9889

Thanks!

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Web Tools 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com