Hodaka Forum

Welcome to the Hodaka Forum.
Our mission is to provide a forum for questions, suggestions, tips, and discussions related to Hodaka motorcycles.

Like true "Hodaddies", please be responsible, friendly and helpful and keep content "G"-rated, as it will be available to children and child-like adults....

Happy trails to you ....
Steve Streeper
IdahoSteve
Arco, Idaho
PS - I'm a motorcycle NOVICE, but will be happy to help answer questions if possible. I'm relying on YOU guys to provide the expertise!

Forum:

Hodaka Forum

Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
road toad compression

what should the compression be ion a 74 road toad my bike has only 900 miles but only 64 lbs compresion

Email   hptuner  
Re: road toad compression

ewwwwww, 64psi? Do you have to bump start it? With compression that low, it surely is a bit weak on power and hard to start.

Compression ought to be about 150psi or so (new). By the time compression drops off to 120-100psi, it is time to think about a top end job.

Did you check compression with the throttle wide open? And with a trustworthy compression gauge?

Ed

Email  

we used a gauge with the throttle closed

Email   hptuner  

OK. So I'd recommend a re-test, but this time hold the throttle wide open while kicking 'er over. This is the "standard" (and recommended) method for checking compression on a motorcycle engine.

I'm pulling for you that the re-test will reveal better compression. And since you DIDN'T report having to push start 'er . . . I'm guessing that things are actually OK.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Email Forms   Free Web Tools   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com