Hodaka Forum

Welcome to the Hodaka Forum.
Our mission is to provide a forum for questions, suggestions, tips, and discussions related to Hodaka motorcycles.

Like true "Hodaddies", please be responsible, friendly and helpful and keep content "G"-rated, as it will be available to children and child-like adults....

Happy trails to you ....
Steve Streeper
IdahoSteve
Arco, Idaho
PS - I'm a motorcycle NOVICE, but will be happy to help answer questions if possible. I'm relying on YOU guys to provide the expertise!

Forum:

Hodaka Forum

Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Super Rat 71

I just purchased a 71 Super Rat with frame 57571 and engine M7742. Are these correct numbers for the bike? Everything appears original including paint, it does have a little pitting on the some of the chrome on the bars and a small chrome blemish on the tank with small amount of pitting. Most polished out with Mothers. I'v e seen a few pics with the placards on the rear that display the race numbers, those are missing but as far I can tell everything else is there and original. Paint cleaned up as new with only a few scuff marks. I think it may even have the original tires which were flat but when I pumped them up they seem to be holding air.
I have not tried to start it yet the spark plug was missing and when I removed the tank to polish and to clean the foam holding fell apart. I replaced with a car sponge. The clutch hand lever is missing, the bracket is there so I need to find one of those.
Few question:
1)How much and what type of oil do these hold, I drained the oil in it which really stunk and replaced with a couple of pints of 30 and was going to push it around a bit since it's stuck in gear and then drain that. Any suggestions?
2)The gas tank is full of rust chips, I poured some gas and shook it some and poured out. I thought I would pick up some bb's and shack them in it and then coat with some sort of tank lining product.
3) any other things I should watch out for on these bikes?

Email  
Re: Super Rat 71

First off I would highly suggest that you purchase a hodaka parts and owners manual.
Be sure the oil is 30WT non detergent, regular production automotive oil may foam out the breather.
If it is stuck in gear? I would suggest removing the left side cover "shift cover" The actual shifting is acomplished in that cover.Note! parts and owners manual.
Be sure to clean the carb,install an in-line filter between supply and carb after.
If plug was not installed "spark plug"? I would put a few drops of that 30WT oil through the spark plug hole before I atempted to turn over the engine.
You may very well have also moisture damage within the cylinder?
Acquire a flywheel puller "strictly Hodaka" inspect the points, possibly clean set or time to specification."hodaka owners manual"
Have Fun
RL

Email  

any tips on how the reinstall the kick starter. I removed for cleaning and now am have a hell of time trying to get it back on with that **** spring?

Email  

Soaper - you have requested one of the classic Hodaka hot tips!

-Just lay the bike over on its side with the clutch side up.
-Remove the clutch cover.
-Install the kick starter and spring and spring cup.
-"Wind" the kick starter up and to the rear (normal kick rotation direction) and use a large screw driver to prevent it from coming forward again.
-Put some heavy grease on the clutch pressure piece to hold it in place while you reinstall the clutch cover, then reinstall the clutch cover.
-Remove the screw driver holding the kick start lever back and let the lever rotate forward to its stop.
-You're done!

Ed
PS: Keep the rubber side down!

Email  

Thank you Ed that worked great. I'm looking at getting a new set of tires for the bike these didn't clean up as well as I'd hoped. It appears that the knobby tire is on the front and what looks like it should be the front tire the back (speaking about the tread). Did they typically set these up like that?

Email  

The toaster tank Super Rat had knobbies at both ends.

Front was a 3.00 X 19"
Rear was a 3.25 X 18"

Ed

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Free Blogs   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting   Cheap Domains 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com