Return to Website

Organic Farming Forum Discussion

We're interested in your comments and experience with organic farming.

This site is moderated. Commercial promotion posts will be removed

Forum: Organic Farming Forum Discussion
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Invasive plant treatment compromising organic farm status?

The Coastal Invasive Plant Committee will be "treating" invasive plants around our region this year.

The article I read didn't define exactly what "treatment" meant. My concern is if invasive plants are chemically treated along the roadway next to a property that is growing organic vegetables or chickens, etc. will that organic farm be in danger of having their organic certification compromised?

How can a person determine what substances are acceptable/not acceptable within what distances from an organic farm? And when does "neighbouring" treatment threaten an organic farm certification and when does it not?

Would appreciate any information or guidance towards information providing clarity around this issue.

Thanks,

Ken Glaze

Are you a farmer/gardener? Not yet

Email  
Re: Invasive plant treatment compromising organic farm status?

Hi Ken,

An associate read your query and gave me this reply:

Quote:
I wrote an article for the BC Organic Grower spring issue that can be found in pdf form on pages 24 - 27 which clearly outlines the chemicals involved in weed control, what to do, and how to contact the invasive plant council in your region to find out exactly what is happening in your location.
http://certifiedorganic.bc.ca/publications/bcog/issues/Vol14N2.pdf

Re: Invasive plant treatment compromising organic farm status?

Thanks Jeffery,

I'll see if I can find some contact info for the Coastal Invasive Plant Committee and try to find out what their plan is and implications for local organic farmers.

Regards,

Ken

Are you a farmer/gardener? Not yet

Email  
ORGANIC FARMING NEWS      MARKETING INTELLIGENCE      CORPORATE OWNERSHIP CHART      SITE MAP