Horse of the Americas Message Board

Welcome to the HOA Message forum. Feel free to post a message.
Please post photos in the Photo Center. Click on Return to Website; then click on Photo Center.

Horse of the Americas Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
soliciting ideas-- next HOA newsletter

We are planning a special issue with a purpose next newsletter and we want YOUR contributions. The downturn in the recreational economy has caused many problems for our unique breed. Many breeders have stopped breeding all together. Many of our most valuable stock are aging without reproducing. We want YOUR ideas! What promotions would be helpful? How do we build new clients and new markets? We want to hear what our members and advisers have to say. Dr. Phil, Dr. Gus, John Fusco, HOA officers and strain reps, friends from other CS registries, and anyone else with positive ideas or suggestions, please send me your thoughts on this by Nov. 20th. Email: karmafarms@yahoo.com.

Re: soliciting ideas-- next HOA newsletter

I don't know what to say! I have a rescued colt from a breeding operation. If I hadn't gotten him, he would be dead! I can only suggest, that during these times when there is no market, that people need to stop breeding unwanted foals! Times are hard, and we need to face the fact that our horses are not in demand right now!

I am so so happy to say that I found a very loving home for the colt that I rescued! He is such a beautiful boy! In two months, he gained 150 pounds with good feed and hay! One more saved!

I wish I could feel better about what you call Horses of America. Sadly, I know a woman who owns a rogue Nakota mustang. She has some fantasy that she is the soul mate of the Native American, and that her horse can do no wrong. My msre is an Americsn Quarter Horse, a mix of mustang and Thoroughbred blood with lines going back into the 1830's. This Nakota sttacked my mare twice while she was pregnant, and has attacked horses ridden by the owner's daughters twice that I know of. This woman seems to feel that any bad behavior is acceptable because he is a "Horse of America." Last time I checked, American Quarter Horses were also Horses of America. The thrill of owning a mustang stallion ala Hidslgo or Spirit only goes so far, especially when it involves other people or horses getting hurt.

This might become article in your next newsletter. I'm a writer, and if you would like me to work up an article on this topic, please let me know. Potentisl title: Whst IS a Horse of Americs? Eohippus was here first, but for some reason the horse died out on the American continent until the Spainsrds reintroduced the species during the 17th century.

Every time I try to post this, my A's turn into S's. Sorry about that.

Sharon,

Please go to the FB site "Native Horses of the America's" where they discuss and examine the evidence that the horses never did in fact die out. Do some research and then write an article.

Also to put down one breed or strain because of one horse lacking in proper training is not fair to the breed, strain or the horse.

I look forward to what you find out.

Sharon, to my knowledge, We the HOA has only 1 Nakota registered. its a gelding owned by Margaret Odgers. I have not heard of him being mean. There is a lot of controversy about the Nakota's. And I am not going to get into it here.

Check out out web site, which you must have been on to get to this message board and thet will pretty well tell you what we are for.

Your welcome to email me at tomnorush@gmail.com or call me at 765-762-6628 and I will be happy to discuss this with you. We would always like to have articles for the newsletter and would look forward to seeing yours.

Tom

It is not much, but I told a popular paranormal romance author who has developed a passion for fancy cowboy boots that if she wanted a horse and saddle to match that I know a woman who breeds Spanish Colonial horses and a gentleman who hand makes saddles...probably could match her boots. Yes Vik I bragged on you and Allen. Promise I did not go over the top.
I also told the old cowboy actor Alex Cord about Allen's saddles.

I'm not equipped to write about surviving Pleistocene American horses but I've got something in the works about surviving Pleistocene Iberian horses and the centaur myth. It won't answer the question but it is interesting.

Sharon, It sounds like you are very narrow minded to judge a breed by one horse! You need to talk to people that have these great horses! We have two. They have spent the summer teaching kids in bad situations how to ride! They have beautiful manners, and if you would see how much confidence these kids get by learning how to take care of a horse, you would change your mind! These are the most wonderful horses to be around! They love their people, and are very happy to do anything you ask! Sounds like you need to do more research before you write an article!

I am certain there are some great Nakotas out there, but if you have a bad experience with one it does make you anxious. I know there are great pitbulls out there....dogs that have saved their owners and work in search and rescue, but the dog who killed the woman who raised two weeks ago and the dog who ate the hands off another woman who raised the dog, makes me fearfull of the breed. Doesn't mean I'm narrow minded....I just don't want to take the risk. I grew up around Tennessee Walkers, consider them a wonderful breed, but one bad TWH sold to an experienced woman has shaded her opinion against the whole breed, It happens.

Nokotas.

Sharon Andrews
I wish I could feel better about what you call Horses of America. Sadly, I know a woman who owns a rogue Nakota mustang. She has some fantasy that she is the soul mate of the Native American, and that her horse can do no wrong. My msre is an Americsn Quarter Horse, a mix of mustang and Thoroughbred blood with lines going back into the 1830's. This Nakota sttacked my mare twice while she was pregnant, and has attacked horses ridden by the owner's daughters twice that I know of. This woman seems to feel that any bad behavior is acceptable because he is a "Horse of America." Last time I checked, American Quarter Horses were also Horses of America. The thrill of owning a mustang stallion ala Hidslgo or Spirit only goes so far, especially when it involves other people or horses getting hurt.

This might become article in your next newsletter. I'm a writer, and if you would like me to work up an article on this topic, please let me know. Potentisl title: Whst IS a Horse of Americs? Eohippus was here first, but for some reason the horse died out on the American continent until the Spainsrds reintroduced the species during the 17th century.

Every time I try to post this, my A's turn into S's. Sorry about that.

Sigh.... its spelled Nokota, not NAkota.

Sharon - I've been involved with many Nokotas. Generally speaking, they are known to get along well with other horses because as free-range horses, they developed good social skills within a herd. Not sure what's up with the one at your barn, but from your description of the owner, I'd say the problem starts there. Soulmate of a Native American? Seriously? Ugh.

I follow just about everything horse related on facebook. One of my favorite postings is Takota Spanish Mustangs out of Australia. Everyday I look forward to the adventures of Star and Falcon her two young colts. She posts videos of them and I will tell you Star is indeed a star.

I think that kind of messaging is the absolute best. Not our breed but Manu Sharma of the Marwari breed is always posting photos that he takes of the Marwari horse and videos of them traveling in gait.

I am not talented enough to figure out how to post photos I take on my phone to the internet, but I bet a lot of you are. IF anyone of you does this sort of thing, let me know so I can friend you on facebook and share.