Horse of the Americas Message Board

Welcome to the HOA Message forum. Feel free to post a message.
Please post photos in the Photo Center. Click on Return to Website; then click on Photo Center.

Horse of the Americas Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another cowboy has passed on.

For those that don't know my husband passed away in our home September 1st 2013 surrounded by family and friends. He had been diagnosed with cancer in early June and we had just found out it had spread to basically all over (spine, lungs, etc). We had brought him home from the hospital for a few days before he passed.

He did the bulk of the driving/work that earned our mare MP Gypsy Queen the HOA Pleasure Driving Horse of the Year and Working Ranch Horse of the year award in 2012.

He grew up on his parents ranch on the Standing Rock Reservation (they had pastures in both the Dakota's) riding herd with his brothers and sisters on 500 mother cows, 3,000 ewes and about 100 horses at any given time. He calf roped - and rode saddle bronc and bareback in rodeos. He was in the Navy for nearly 10 years and was in Korea and Vietnam. After that he lived and worked all over the US, ran a beef kill plant in Idaho, worked for the Star Wars program in Colorado, did refrigeration for Gold N Plump, worked for the railroad for a while, taught power plant technology at Bismark Junior College and eventually retired from the Minnesota Zoo (he worked in water treatment there but he did do some help for their farm exhibit including breaking the American Cream Draft team they used to have there to drive). He always trained horses on the side, starting at least one under saddle every year for 69 years straight. He owned, bred, and trained many breeds of horses throughout his life including Spanish Mustangs, BLM Mustangs, QH's, Paints, Appaloosas, POA's, Curlies, Belgians, Suffolks, American Cream Drafts, Shires, Clydesdales, Morgans, Halflingers, Friesians, Foxtrotters, Paso's, Standardbreds, Arabians and just about every cross you can think of. He never cared to much for papers but cared if the horse was a good horse or not - and he fell in love with the SM's because the ones he met were good horses. He also owned some high bred horses in his day including own sons and daughters of Azure Te, TNT, Mr. Norfleet and Ouke - and of course our most recent purchase of an own son of Rowdy Yates. He raised beef cattle, milked cows & goats, and had free range chickens and guinea fowl and various times throughout his life.

He raised 12 children (including our two) and is survived by 11 of them. Family is too numerous to start to list. He lived a very full life - there are many stories and other things he did throughout his life I could list but it would take pages & pages.

His body was donated to the University of Minnesota per his wishes. There will be a memorial service in Lodi Wisconsin (by Madison) at his son's on September 14th 2013 at 11:00am - The address is W10922 Lake Point Drive Lodi Wisconsin 53555. Please bring a dish to pass if able. All are welcome to attend.

Re: Another cowboy has passed on.

Andrea, My deepest sympathies to you and the family. Mac sounded like he lived a full life of adventure and love, and his life was full of family and friends. I am sure he will be missed greatly and remembered by many.

My condolences on your loss. Mac sounds like he was a unique person with a wide variety of interests and skills. His horse training skills will certainly be missed.

I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope they are riding side by side on their way to the promised land.

Andrea, I am so sorry for your loss. Mac will be long remembered by his family and friends, and that will give you solace in the long run. God bless.

You have my prayers. He sounded like a wonderful man.